"Student must view this activity to complete it" condition does not work

"Student must view this activity to complete it" condition does not work

by Jacek Rapacz -
Number of replies: 7

Hi.

As mentioned in the topic name "Student must view this activity to complete it" does not work for me. It is the only condition of completion of the activity. The activity is Quiz: Essay. When i go to quiz results page all of the answers require manual review. Activity is not completed automatically just by viewing it.

Different types of activities with that condition work just fine. Is it some activity type-related bug or am I missing something?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jacek Rapacz

Re: "Student must view this activity to complete it" condition does not work

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello. I am going to move your post to the Quiz forum since it is about Quiz and activity completion and is not specific to Moodle Cloud. Do you actually want them to do the quiz or just click on it without doing it?
I tested this on our School demo site  and the quiz is marked complete if the student clicks on it, for sure, but if the student has submitted an essay then you will of course have the essays still marked as ungraded if you access the results page -because they are meant to be graded.
In reply to Mary Cooch

Odp: Re: "Student must view this activity to complete it" condition does not work

by Jacek Rapacz -
Why are they meant to be graded if checkbox "Student must receive a grade to complete this activity" is not checked? Shouldn't it work analogically to Assignement activity where grade is not required for it to be completed (even though it is also "open" question)?
In reply to Jacek Rapacz

Re: Odp: Re: "Student must view this activity to complete it" condition does not work

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello Jacek. Just to clarify: when I made a Quiz with an Essay question and I set the activity completion to "require view" then for me the completion box was checked for the student as long as they clicked on the quiz, even if they didn't submit the essay. And when I checked the Activity completion report (Course settings > More> Reports) I could see the completion mark. However, if they did submit an essay then that won't get automatically graded so will remain in the Quiz results as ungraded, even though the Quiz has been marked complete. These are two separate things.
Have I understood your requirements correctly? Perhaps you can share some screenshots if you want to discuss it further.
In reply to Mary Cooch

Odp: Re: Odp: Re: "Student must view this activity to complete it" condition does not work

by Jacek Rapacz -
I understand what you are saying. In my mind in the case of an Essay, setting activity completion to "require view" only should mark activity as completed but ungraded in the moment of sending an essay by the student (like in Assignement activity I mentioned earlier). The problem is, access to the next activity is restricted by completion of Essay. But students report no access to that activity after sending essay. They can get access only after my manual review of their essays. This is in contradiction with "require grade" condition being unckeched. I thought students would have access to the next activity and it won't matter if they just click on the Essay OR add (send) answer to Essay question.

I can't understand why Essay requires grade to be considered as completed even though "require grade" condition is unckeched. That seems unlogical for me and made some confusion among our teachers.
Or maybe looking at it from different angle: Why students can't get access to the next activity even though in the case of Essay "require view" condition is completed and there is no "require grade" condition?

My main question is: Does completion of Essay activity work as intended (and I just don't understand it)?
I can consider that it is how it is and learn to live with it but I need conformation it should work that way.
In reply to Jacek Rapacz

Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: "Student must view this activity to complete it" condition does not work

by Mary Cooch -
Ah I see what you mean.  However, I have tested this and  that the next activity should be unlocked regardless if you use "Require view" as a completion condition for the Quiz. Please try on our School Demo site and if it still doesn't work for you, send some screenshots of your settings.

Also, with Moodle 3.10 there is a new activity completion setting for the Quiz called "Require attempts" and you can set this so that once a student has made one attempt (in for example an Essay question) then the Quiz will be marked complete and the next activity unlocked. This is only available from Moodle 3.10 onwards so you need to check what version of Moodle you have. 
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mary Cooch

Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: "Student must view this activity to complete it" condition does not work

by Jacek Rapacz -
Ok, now I am even more confused ;) After testing the same scenario on School Demo site, everything works as I expected it to work (it is just fine). Settings for both activities Essay and the next one are identical with ours but they work differently... Could that be caused by different Moodle version (we use 3.9 at the moment)?
In reply to Jacek Rapacz

Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: "Student must view this activity to complete it" condition does not work

by Mary Cooch -
No - I just tested on a 3.9 site and they work the same as on 3.10. Does activity completion work well for you in other places on your site?