Global Announcements on Dashboard

by Nils Benning -
Number of replies: 9

Dear all,

we're using Moodle 3.7.2 with the Dashboard configured as start page for users.

We have some global announcements (e.g. maintenance, internal advertisements etc) and want to show them in the Dashboard. Currently we use a Textblock in the Dashboard for this. However, if we want to change something the Dashbaord of all users has to be reset in order to show the updated version of the Textblock. This might be frustrating for users, who actually customize their Dashboard.

Is there a better tool to show short texts (maybe also graphics), which might change from time to time, on the Dashboard? I know there are also Banner-Plugins out there, but if I want to change them, I would have to reset all Dashboards as well.

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Nils

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Nils Benning

Ang: Global Announcements on Dashboard

by Preben Pedersen -
Hi Nils

I don't know of any really practical solution to what you want, but i do see the benefits of what you are requesting.

Only thing i can think of is to make an html block and embed the announcements from another place. That way you can update the announcements without resetting the users dashboards all the time.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Nils Benning

Re: Global Announcements on Dashboard

by C Behan -

People have raised similar queries to this over the years.

I tried many things, but we now have a method that kind of uses the principle that Preben suggested i.e. to sort of embed content from one area that we can update as we please to display on the dashboard without having to reset it.

Once the set up is done it's easy enough to maintain.

• We use the Embed questions filter which allows us to display a question anywhere you input HTML.
  • On the Site Home (yourmoodlesiteURL/?redirect=0), add a question to the question bank. The question type is 'description' (so it is not really a question at all but rather a place where you can enter text/pictures/html). Why the site home? Because all of your users will have the necessary permission to view your 'question'. Get your announcement in order - you can make it as fancy or as plain as you want. 
  • Save the question, switch to plain-text editor, and go to edit the question again. Now add some inline style before the html that is intended for display. On my site it's <style> #q1 .info { display: none; } .que .content { height: 100; } </style> (configure your height and the questionid as appropriate).
  • Switch back to Atto Editor. On the default dashboard (maybe just work on your own first dashboard first until you're happy with it) add a HTML block and place it in position. Using the atto editor add the question filter following the guidelines here.
  • You'll need to reset the dashboard to push it out to all users but hopefully that will be the end of it!

Anytime you want to make changes, do so in the question. If you want to show no notice, then remove or comment out the previous message, but not the style, and set the que .content height to 0. Use plain text editor when making/saving changes, otherwise the style will be stripped out.

In reply to C Behan

by Acqua Alta -
Hi C Behan,
I'm guess that I am missing something, but I'v got to ask - What is the benefit of using the question over just using adding a HTML block?
In reply to Acqua Alta

by C Behan -
Hi Acqua,
The reason is that if you just use a HTML block, you cannot update it without needing to reset everybody's dashboard again unfortunately.
If instead you embed content in a HTML block, you can change the content at source without needing to change the HTML block.
The reason I used an embedded 'question' as opposed to e.g. a page, is that it was possible to embed it without bringing in other content such as nav bar etc.
In reply to Nils Benning

by Mark Sharp -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
If you have access to the code, you could add something to your theme.
I override the core_renderer course_content_header function (which outputs just before the content on a page). In that function you could check which page the user is on then output whatever content you wanted.
In reply to Nils Benning

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Consider adding the Advanced notification block onto the content area - no dashboard reset when you update the banners in this block. Also consider an html block with Google slides embedded. Then it will update without the dashboard refreshed either.
Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to John Provasnik

by Nils Benning -
Thanks to all of you!
As I can see there is an increased need for this feature, too bad there is no intuitive native Moodle function. wink

I think John's recommendation of advanced notification block is a nice approach. I'm going to give it a shot.

Best,
Nils
In reply to Nils Benning

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Nils,
In the Moodle DOWNLOADS, if you search for announcements, you get a link to this block plugin, Blocks: Adaptable News Slider. The last sentence of the description paragraph says, "whilst designed to work with the Adaptable Theme, it *may* work with other themes."
Might be worth a try as the description seems to indicate it does what you want.