Some Moodle images in Safari (Safari 12.1.2, 12607.3.10) not loading

by Luca Bösch -
Number of replies: 9
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Does this sound familiar to any of you?

Some images do not load in Safari (Mac OS Sierra, Safari 12.1.2, 12607.3.10).
Moodle 3.9.3
Top is Chrome, bottom is Safari.
Cache clearing did not resolve.
Image URL look like
This is especially critical if it is in a quiz question context.

Thanks for any hint.

Best,
Luca
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Luca Bösch

Re: Some Moodle images in Safari (Safari 12.1.2, 12607.3.10) not loading

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Put the site into Debugging mode.
Right click on one of the missing images and open in a new tab. Go to the new tab. What does it say?
In reply to Howard Miller

by Luca Bösch -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Howard, it doesn't show no warning or message in Chrome but wouldn't load the image in Safari (Tab remains blank).
In reply to Luca Bösch

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
A few ideas...

1) Upgrade your Mac, and upgrade Safari.
2) Put Safari into "New Private Window" and see if the problem still exists.
3) Explore any Safari add-ins that might be causing the problem.
4) Go to a different Mac. See if the problem exists.
5) This may have something to do with JavaScript being enabled or disables in Safari.

Remember, Apple tries to make Safari very secure. Personally, I have not experienced the problem that you show, but I probably don't use your technique in my Moodle.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Luca Bösch -

Nah, that's not really a solution.
Especially if there's students and lecturers experiencing this as well.

I asked now for a server side analysis by the system engineering guys.

FYI that's the information in the browser when accessing the image's URL.

Best,
Luca

In reply to Luca Bösch

by Rick Jerz -
So does everything work when you go to another computer and use the latest version of Safari?

Of course, it could be a different problem, as indicted in your screenshot.
In reply to Luca Bösch

by Luca Bösch -
The analysis resulted in a heavy load.
HTTP requests per second to Apache fired which exceeded a large number.
I have repeating requests with HTTP 206 partial content status, all requesting pluginfile.php which keep accumulating. e.g.:

[09/Jan/2021:13:10:22 +0100] "GET /pluginfile.php/1570053/course/section/317441/mscwi-moodle-bppm.png HTTP/2.0" 206 69

Has anyone experienced such things?
Any hints on what to do/check?

In reply to Luca Bösch

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Well, it's not loading for some reason. Open Safari's developer tools and see if anything is going on when it tries to load the image.

Either the server isn't sending it - which would imply some sort of error on the server. Or Safari doesn't want to display it and I would expect some evidence in the browser.
In reply to Luca Bösch

by John Provasnik -
Can you edit that label or section topic and add the image 2 times in a row to see if both break when viewing on the course page, or if only the first one breaks?
Also, when you are using developer tools -- does the image URL change for that broken image (versus when in Editing mode)?

I had a similar issue that happened once in a while (but it happened across Chrome, Safari, and FireFox). I never figured out why the image looked fine when i had it open in Atto, but broken on the activity page/course page, but I did notice it didnt matter what the image was, it was just the 'first' image was breaking. If i copied the img tag and had 2 in a row, then both looked good in Atto , but as soon as i saved, then the first image was broken and when I inspected it with browser tools, the URL was being slightly changed (I can't recall to what off hand, I think it was removing "src" and adding something else). Remains a mystery to me but maybe related to your issue so figured I'd share...
In reply to Luca Bösch

by John Provasnik -
I found it, so in my 3.7 Moodle instance (Chrome), the image works fine in editing mode, but when I save, the first image URL gets changed from
[img src="url..."]
to
[img data-originalsrc="url..."]

So it's the "src" that gets changed and I'm not sure why? This isn't consistent, but whenever it happens, it's consistently to the first image.
My work around is to have the image twice in a row and add "display: none;" to the first one. then the 2nd one works fine...

Curious if this is what is happening to you.

Editing Mode: 

Browser Tools:

Average of ratings: Useful (1)