Negative scoring on Multiple Choice with Deferred Feedback behaviour

Negative scoring on Multiple Choice with Deferred Feedback behaviour

by Susana L. -
Number of replies: 4

Hi,

I would like to understand if the display of negative scoring on different areas in moodle is behaving as expected or if there is any small glitch...

Using Multiple Choice questions with deferred feedback we can have negative scorings on questions and quizzes. I would like to confirm where it is supposed to show that negative scoring...

On Moodle 3.9 negative scoring is shown on question attempt review, quiz attempt review, quiz grade report and is shown zero only on course grader report. (screenshots attached)

Can anyone please confirm me that this is the expected behaviour?

Thank you!
susana

quiz-attempt-review

question-attempt-review

quiz-grader-report

course-grader-report

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Susana L.

Re: Negative scoring on Multiple Choice with Deferred Feedback behaviour

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I think it is a limitation of the Moodle gradebook that it cannot store negative grades.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Susana L. -
I think it is just fine showing zero on gradebook... Actually I would also force a zero on quiz grade report... That way we would have no negative scorings on grades that can be published...
But just confirming the intended behaviour.
Thank you!
In reply to Susana L.

by Przemek Kaszubski -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that negative scores are produced only with Multiple Choice Single Answers (radio-buttons) ? And NOT when we allow more than one answer (checkboxes) ? In the latter case the Quiz reports of various kinds also show zero even if the raw sum total should be less, mathematically.

Such at least has been my experience so far. And this inconsistency is causing us to think of tweaking the quiz code to force a consistent behaviour (no negative scores) when single answers are used.

Also, not sure only Deferred feedback is affected; I've been testing this "problem" using the Adaptive mode without penalties.

Here below are two screnshots illustrating my experience:

ONE ANSWER CASE:

MULTIPLE ANSWERS ALLOWED CASE - this for me is the expected quiz behaviour by default:

GRADEBOOK shows zero in both cases (OK with me !) :

Regards.

In reply to Przemek Kaszubski

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
You are correct.