Quiz Activity and Cache

Quiz Activity and Cache

by Eric Katchan -
Number of replies: 5

Hi all, like many of us, Moodle has become the default face of our university.  We have never had as many quizzes or for that matter activities on moodle.  We are trying to improve our reliability and speed.  Our bottleneck seems to be our DB server - Postgres.  We added 4 CPUs this Sunday morning in advance of an exam of apprx 1200 students today.  At the same time as adding the CPUs we had a small local plugin update to our moodle.  We cleared the moodle cache (local file cache and Redis)

Our performance today seemed quite good.  We did not have a large number of idle sessions on our db server and our CPU % remained very acceptable.  

My question - although counter intuitive, did clearing the cache play any part in the reliability or improvement of the performance of our quiz this morning or was that just a coincidence?

If it does play a role then how often should we try to clear cache?  I would have thought that the more content which can come from cache, the faster the performance.

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Eric Katchan

Re: Quiz Activity and Cache

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Clearing the cache can only make performance worse. Don't do it (though doing it before the heavy load starts is safer than doing it in the middle of heavy load).
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Eric Katchan -
I know, it makes sense. I guess adding the 4 cpu's helped. I just want to make sure. As it stands, it took close to 25 minutes to clear all Cache when site was in maint. mode.
In reply to Eric Katchan

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
What sort of cache are you using? Anyway, this is the quiz forum. There is a separate forum for discussing Hardware and Performance. You might want to ask there.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Eric Katchan -
fyi we are using Redis 3 instances as well as local cache on 4 web servers