H5P activities "speak a word", "essay" and "find a word"

H5P activities "speak a word", "essay" and "find a word"

by Olga Bezzabotnova -
Number of replies: 9

I have recently upgraded the activities "speak a word", "essay" and "find a word" in my Moodle. They are great but don't work properlly:

•  "speak a word" - sometimes it's absolutelly impossible to get a score, as the answer is not considered to be the correct one; though in the list of the words "your answer was interpreted as ..." the is the correct answer. 
  •  "essay" - is a great tool for small student-produced texts but as a teacher I can only see the score and can't see the student's text.
  • "find a word" - the upper line and the left side column in the square are impossible to mark the words; you cant fix the cursor in the position, it moves itself upper or lower, righter or lefter.

Has anyone else experience the same troubles? What shall/can I do?

Thank you smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Olga Bezzabotnova

Re: H5P activities "speak a word", "essay" and "find a word"

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Olga,

1.- The H5P "Speak the words" activity cannot recognize spoken words with 100% accuracy, of course. I do not see this string "your answer was interpreted as ..." anywhere in the editing interface, perhaps you mean "Accepted answer".

2.- Why not use the native Moodle Quiz question "Essay"? Much better.

3.- I don't understand what you mean. Could you attach a screenshot or, better, attach your "Find the words" content?

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Olga Bezzabotnova -
1. Yes, I do mean "Accepted answer".
2. I would argue: moodle essay requests teacher's assessement and of course I use it for a real creative essay. But H5P essay checks the essay automatically and it is nice when you need to practise some cliches and use of the definite words and phrases.
3.  Here you are (the task for students)
H5P task Find a word
A here is the editing page
Edit the task h5p Find the word

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi again Olga,

2.- You wrote ""essay" - is a great tool for small student-produced texts but as a teacher I can only see the score and can't see the student's text."

That is not true, a teacher can review the students' submitted H5P essays in the Attempts report.

3.- I have entered your list of words in a Find the Words H5P activity and it works fine. Please explain clearly what you meant in your original post by "the upper line and the left side column in the square are impossible to mark the words etc." Are you using H5P & Moodle in a browser or on a smartphone/tablet with the Moodle Mobile App, by any chance? I am attaching a screenshot of my own trial, no problem reported.

by Olga Bezzabotnova -
Joseph, thanks for your help.
2. You wrote 'That is not true, a teacher can review the students' submitted H5P essays in the Attempts report.' But I completely failed to find 'Attempts report'. Could you explain or provide a screenshot of the place?

3. I'm using H5P as a plugin of my Moodle. The problem occurs in any browser. I and my students in different locations tried GoogleChrome, Opera and Yandex. The cursor doesn't stop in the appropriate place in the top line ( in your case it's the word 'frog') and in the left column.

Now, I can guess if this is because of the Moodle version. Could it be the reason? Now I'm using Moodle 3.9.1.

by Joseph Rézeau -

I'm using Moodle 3.10.

2.- After students have completed their essay a teacher can view their attempts, in the successive steps shown in the screenshots below. The full text of the essay is available.

3.- Can't help here. Try to post on the H5P forums at https://h5p.org/forum

by Oliver Tacke -
Hi!

It's probably not a problem with Essay, but a problem with the plugin/moodle core. Essay is a "long fill-in" activity, and H5P's report module didn't display those correctly in older versions. The latest version of the H5P plugin should contain the latest version of that report module, but others or moodle core may not.

By the way: If you let me know what's better in moodle's Essay activity and if it's possible to implement that in H5P's logic, I will gladly consider to do so for H5P.Essay.

Best,
Oliver
In reply to Oliver Tacke

by Joseph Rézeau -
@Oliver,
1.- "The latest version of the H5P plugin should contain the latest version of that report module, but others or moodle core may not."
The example I posted was created with Moodle 3.10 latest and H5P Moodle core activity.
2.- There is a Moodle Essay question type plugin  similar to the H5P Essay: Essay (auto-grade)
I should add I'm skeptical as to the pedagogical value of those "auto-graded" essays.wink

by Oliver Tacke -

@Joseph

1. Thanks. Then I guess that 3.10 is using the latest version of the report module. 

2. What do you think why I added the option to completely remove scoring and why I stated "The content type does not replace grading by teachers" on the example page?

Best,

Oliver 

In reply to Oliver Tacke

by Beatriz Rojo -
Hi everyone and thanks for this interesting discussion about the auto-graded Essay question type in H5P.
Like Olga, I like it and use it quite a lot for low-stakes tests. If a teacher invests time configuring the question and adds a lot of variables, it is super helpful for large courses. Of course, I share Joseph's skeptical position because at some point the accurate and individualized feedback of a teacher is necessary.
It's true that Moodle has a similar question type plugin, but for small companies like mine which manage Moodle through a Moodle Partner, each plugin installation means 💶 charges 💶 and so the h5p option is  ❤️the perfect solution❤️!
Average of ratings: Useful (1)