Unable to reorder questions after quiz written

Unable to reorder questions after quiz written

by Celynn K -
Number of replies: 12

Hi all,

I am quite sure I have done this in the past but am unable to reorder questions on a test that has already been written by students.

Moodle documentation (3.8) says I should be able to do this. 

The icon for dragging the questions is not available for the test that has been written.

Is there another way to reorder questions?

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Celynn

Moodle 3.8, Fordson

Attachment unwritten test.JPG
Attachment written test.JPG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Celynn K

Re: Unable to reorder questions after quiz written

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hello Celynn,

I can only confirm that in version 3.10 the order of questions is frozen as soon as a student starts an attempt. If this was not the case in previous versions, it may be interesting to know why this has changed. Tim probably knows that.
In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Celynn K -
Thank you Dominique,

In previous versions I was able to move questions even after a test had been written
Documentation for 3.8 (https://docs.moodle.org/38/en/Building_Quiz) says that this can still be done

Celynn

Attachment question order.JPG
In reply to Celynn K

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Celynn,

The documentation for version 3.10 says the same thing. Unless Tim or someone else gives us the explanation here, to be clear about this, you will need to report in the Tracker the discrepancy between the documentation, the past behaviour and the current behaviour in Moodle 3.10.

It might also be helpful to mention why it is important for you to be able to change the order of the questions after the quiz has been taken by the students.

by Celynn K -
Ok, thanks Dominique,

I have recently set up a very large number of online tests on a new Moodle site.
These tests usually have question order set to scramble so the order of the questions is not really important.
However, there are a few tests in one faculty that have a case study type scenario and the questions for this need to be sequential.

I did not discover this until one cohort of students wrote one of these tests.
Knowing I might run across other similar situations in future I wanted to sort this out.
For a 'one of' I know I can could a duplicate test and re-order the questions.

But when I noticed the discrepancy in the documentation I thought I'd come to the forums to see if anyone had a suggestion/solution/explanation

Celynn

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I don't believe this has ever changed. Certainly I cannot remeber any intentional change to this in recent years. (I guess this might have changed when MDL-43089 was done in Moodle 2.8? But I don't think it was our intention to change that sort of thing then.)

Can anyone find a past Moodle version when this was possible?
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Celynn K -
Hi Tim,

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated.

The only other version I have access to is version 2.6 and it was possible to reorder questions. Not a drag and drop, but a 'reorder pages'

The screenshot here is for a test that has been written many times. In order to have the 'reorder page' option available you do have to turn shuffle off and have it set to "As shown on the edit screen"

Celynn

Attachment layout.JPG
Attachment reorder questions.JPG
In reply to Celynn K

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Ah! that old re-order mechanism. I think it is quite likely that having method or re-arranging questions was still available, while the other methods (up/down arrows) were hidden, was a bug.

Anyway, Moodle 2.8 was released in 2014. This is ancient history as far as I am concerned.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Celynn K -
Thanks Tim

Yes....ancient history...

Just so I am clear. Are you saying that eg, in 3.8, the up/down arrows being hidden is a bug?

Celynn
In reply to Celynn K

by Tim Hunt -
No, in versions before 2.8, the fact that there was this back door by which you could re-order a quiz what had been attempted, was a bug. Current version of quiz editing is working as intended, as far as I know.

Why do you want to be able to do this? I don't think we have yet extablished which this is an educationally useful thing to be able to do.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Celynn K -
Hi Tim,

In the previous postings in this string I described the reason I would like to be able to do this as well as the why it would be educationally useful in this particular case.
My confusion (also described in previous postings in this string) stems from the fact that the documentation for 3.8 says that I should be able to reorder questions.

I will make a duplicate of this test to solve the problem.

Celynn
In reply to Celynn K

by Tim Hunt -
Sorry. I thought I had checked back through this discussion, but I missed this post before https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=414937#p1672580

The documentation is wrong. I'll fix it.

Glad you have a way to fix this.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Celynn K -
Thank you Tim,

Just noticed that documentation has been updated

Celynn