Quiz problem

Quiz problem

by M Santos -
Number of replies: 20

Hello everyone, I should create a test in which students classify answers giving them a score ranging from 1 to 5. 

The questions are divided into groups of 5. Example: first block, item 1, item 2, item 3, item 4, item 5, the 

student gives the value 5 to the first item, 3 to the second item, 4 to the third, and so on, until he gives 

all the scores. I need a system that excludes, among the possible numerical answers, those already assigned. 

In the example shown above, the student gives 5 to the first item, in the second item he must see only 1-2-3-4 

among the possible options. All this to prevent the student from assigning the same score several times within a 

group of items. Is there a solution? Thank you in advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to M Santos

Re: Quiz problem

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Marco, yes, I see that you have an interesting quiz configuration. Maybe someone else will know of some solution for you. I do not. What I find is that when someone begins using any LMS, you have to create quizzes to "fit" the capabilities of the LMS. The first step in this process is to know about all the "quiz" capabilities (which you are exploring.) Incidentally, Moodle provides more quiz features than any other major LMS, so you will have more flexibility with Moodle (not suggesting that you are considering changing, just pointing this out.)

In your scenario, this might be possible by creating your own custom quiz plugin, which will take some time.

Maybe Dominique will jump in with some thoughts.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hello Rick,

Thank you for your invitation to jump in. smile

Maybe the ordering question type ↗ could meet Marco's needs. Indeed if you have five items and you place one first, there are only four left to choose which to place second. Then three to choose the third, two to choose the fourth and only one to place last.

Is this exactly what Marco is looking for, I'm not sure. I agree with Joseph that it would be useful for Marco to give us a more concrete example.
In reply to Dominique Bauer

Ri: Re: Quiz problem

by M Santos -
Hi Dominique, thank you for your suggest.
Ordering question type could solve my problem. Is it possible to use this type of question even without applying scores and evaluations? I'v only to see what order students assign to items, no more. Thanks
In reply to M Santos

Re: Ri: Re: Quiz problem

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Marco,
I still do not understand what you mean by "...even without applying scores and evaluations?"
PLease explain with a real-world example

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
No problem, Dominique. I know that you (and Joseph) are much more familiar with the variety of question-type plugins available.

by M Santos -
Hi, this is an example:
Question 1, order items according to their importance for you.

Item1
Item2
Item3
Item4

Students order items. Teacher can see the order choose by the student and can export in a csv. That's all.
In reply to M Santos

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hello Marco,

In the quiz settings, set "Grade category" to "Uncategorised" so the quiz results will not appear in the gradebook. Set "How questions behave" to "Deferred feedback", and unselect all settings under "Review options". In the edit quiz page, I would also set "Maximum grade" to 0 just to make sure.

However, it would seem more appropriate for you to use a survey. I don't use them myself and I don't know if you will find what works for you. I can only refer you to the documentation:
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to M Santos

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Marco,

Thanks for the example. That's what I thought, the Quiz activity is not the best suited Moodle activity for this. I suggest you use the Feedback activity (part of Moodle core) or the (contributed) Questionnaire plugin for that.

by M Santos -
Hi Dominique, i'm using Ordering Question Type and may be good for my test, but i need to export the answers (not D1, D2 but questions as they are) in a csv in the order given by students. It seems this kind ok quiz doesn't make possible to export them. Are there any way to solve it? Db? Thankx
In reply to M Santos

by Dominique Bauer -
Hello Marco,

Click on the Quiz name / gear%20icon%2022.png (Actions menu) / Results ● Responses / Download table data as "Comma separated values (.csv).

Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Quiz problem

by M Santos -
Hi Dominique, i've exported a csv from responses but i can see only the firts letters of each answer

Example: A. Più ...; E. Vogl...; B. Tutt...; C. La p...; D. Il b...

Are there any solution to force system to export the entire answers withou truncating them? Thanks
In reply to M Santos

Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Quiz problem

by Joseph Rézeau -

Hi Marco,

1.- I confirm that the Export method explained by Dominique works as expected. See below.

2.- It's impossible for us to help you with your truncated responses problem if you do not give us the exact complete data of your ordering question. Please provide a screenshot of the exported data in your Spreadsheet.

3.- Sorry to insist, but quiz (even with the order question type) is not the best suited tool for what you want to do. Actually you never said clearly what you are trying to achieve with asking your students to order/rank those items. It would really help if you provided all the necessary information from the start rather than us having to extract it bit by bit.wink What is definitely wrong in your approach is that you are using a question which deals with correctness/incorrectness when in fact there is no such notion in what you want.

So, once again, (and for the last time), for the type of responses you want to obtain, the best suited took is a survey-like Moodle activity such as Questionnaire (contributed plugin). Here's a simple example I just made for you.

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Quiz problem

by M Santos -
Hi Joseph,
I had initially evaluated the questionnaire, the problem is that users can give the same score multiple times within a group of questions, unless there is a system to avoid this. I need a system that allows to assign a score from 1 to 5 to 5 questions, based on a subjective order of importance. If the questionnaire, among the settings, allows you to avoid that the same score can be given more than once, it would be great for me. Thanks
In reply to M Santos

Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Quiz problem

by Joseph Rézeau -

Hi Marco,

"If the questionnaire, among the settings, allows you to avoid that the same score can be given more than once, it would be great for me."

Well, you have to use the No duplicate choices

See the documentation at https://docs.moodle.org/310/en/Editing_Questionnaire_questions#Type_of_rate_scale

Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Quiz problem

by M Santos -
Great, i applied your solution and now it's fine. Can i ask u if i can set also a time limit for questionnaire compilation? Thank u very much
In reply to M Santos

Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Quiz problem

by Joseph Rézeau -
Not sure what you mean by "compilation".

Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Quiz problem

by M Santos -
I mean when a student fill the questionnaire. I need to set a time limit, for example 15 minutes
In reply to M Santos

Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Ri: Re: Quiz problem

by Joseph Rézeau -
No, there is no "time limit" feature in the Questionnaire activity. IMHO a time limit does not make sense in a survey-like activity.
In reply to M Santos

by Joseph Rézeau -

Hi Marco,

I really don't understand what you are trying to achieve. Are you actually wanting to create a test/quiz OR a survey-like activity such as Feedback or Questionnaire? That's to say, is there a notion of "correct/incorrect" in your test questions?

Could you please provide a real-life example.