How to implement site-wide achievements?

How to implement site-wide achievements?

by Brian Evans -
Number of replies: 2

I would like to implement a system where students can earn achievement icons that are displayed next to their names for others to see.

Basically, I want this to work exactly like the group icons used in this forum:

Picture of moodle group icons

I know that moodle in English uses groups for this, but I want these achievements to follow students to every course on my site, which can't be done with groups.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Brian Evans

Re: How to implement site-wide achievements?

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
I just took a quick peek at my Profile page on Moodle.org.
Those achievements icons are badges. If a badge is awarded to the user at the Profile level - I would assume that the badge would follow the students on every course.
I don't currently use badges, but your use case is interesting.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

Re: How to implement site-wide achievements?

by Brian Evans -
Shirley,

If you click on the icons (e.g. the hand, the hammer, etc.) you will see that these are groups within the 'course' called moodle in English. The group icons are displayed near the students' names in forums by default but you can't display badges this way.

I teach in a secondary school and I want to develop a series of mini courses that students can complete for extra credit. I think they would be motivated to earn the extra credit by having their peers see some icons next to their names.

These students will take multiple courses with me over their time in school, so I want these icons to follow them. This is not possible with groups.