Image uploading problem for essay type questions

Image uploading problem for essay type questions

by Pradeep Dissanayake -
Number of replies: 2

Dear team,

I am new to Moodle. I have created many exams in my Moodle site. in each exam we have given MCQ and at least 10 essay type questions in chemistry exam papers. MCQ are working extremely well. but Essay type questions having problems very often

Given that typing chem formulas are difficult, we have asked our students to do their working on a paper take a picture and upload it via the file picker or drag and drop.

often the file uploading freezes. students then have to email answers. I highly value if you can share what you usually do when you are in this kind of a situation. 

my version of moodle is Moodle 3.8.3 (Build: 20200511)

I am using Enlightlite free theme.

my hosting with Godaddy and using Cpanel for admin.

after discussing this issue with Godaddy, I have upgraded my hosting to a higher rank with:

4 GB dedicated RAM

SQL database to 50GB and System disk to 90GB.

I still having this issue and it is a big problem for my education Centre moving forward. 

I must say. Moodle is a great and free product and I am not complaining. Just investigating a solution.

Thanks for your time.

Best reagrds

Niro D

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Pradeep Dissanayake

Re: Image uploading problem for essay type questions

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Where during the upload process does it freeze? What exactly do you mean by freeze? a more precise description of the problem (or a recorded screen-capture of it happening) would help understand the problem. Are you getting error message in the logs?

We had a problem a bit like this in the past (your probalby be be this, or may be somthing different.) The problem was not actually in uploading the file, but when Moodle ran the anti-virus scanning. What that looked like was that the file upload progress bar would quickly move to 100% (the upload was working fine) but then it would site there for a long time. (I think it started with a 10-seconds delay, and just kept getting longer with time.) We were able to solve this by setting up our servers to take advantage of the improvement MDL-50888.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Image uploading problem for essay type questions

by Pradeep Dissanayake -
Thanks for the prompt reply Tim,

What I heard from our students was, the file upload windows just keep showing as file still uploading but at the end some have received a timeout error. this happens mostly when more students (like 20) uploading images at once.
In my case Moodle is hosted in a web server with Godaddy.

cheers
ND