Quiz giving wrong result

Quiz giving wrong result

by Murray Simon -
Number of replies: 12

I have a course/quiz set up in adaptive mode, no penalties and there are 27 questions, and you are required to get all questions right in order to get a pass and receive your certificate. The problem is that I have tested it and achieved 26/27 yet it is telling me I received a 100% score and have passed - this should not happen - any ideas - I cannot see anything wrong with the settings and we have 40+ courses and they seem to be working as expected but this one is not playing ball..

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Murray Simon

Re: Quiz giving wrong result

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I have no idea.

At least temporarily, I suggest that you go into the quiz settings, and increase the number of decimal places being displayed in grades. That might make it clear.

Also, at the top of the 'Edit quiz' page, where it shows some total scores (above the red arrow in this screen-grab I just stole from the docs)

Are those totals consistent with the number of questions in the quiz?

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Murray Simon -

yes there are 27 questions and the grade to pass is 27, but if you get 26 or even 25 questions right it still says you have passed which is incorrect because the quiz is set up that you have to have a 100% pass rate

Attachment moodel ss 1.png
Attachment moodel ss 3.png
In reply to Murray Simon

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
That is the quiz settings page. Can you please also screen-grab the top of the Edit quiz page?
In reply to Murray Simon

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Adding to what Tim said, your grade to pass is 27 and you have 27 questions...are all 27 only worth 1 point are are there some worth more? It isn't number correct to pass but grade. What is the maximum score for the quiz?

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Melanie Scott

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
I just noticed that the quiz is worth 10 points, and the grade to pass is 27. If a student gets 26 out of 27 correct, this equates to 9.6 out of 10, which rounds up to 10. So what I see is that 26/27 is close enough to 10. Might any of this make sense?
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Melanie Scott

by Murray Simon -
Hi Melanie, All questions are worth 1 point
In reply to Murray Simon

by Murray Simon -

Sorry should have posted a SS - they are all the same mark.

Attachment moodel ss 5.png
In reply to Murray Simon

by Tim Hunt -
This goes on being a complete mystery. And, since you say it is only this one quiz, presumably there is no way to reproduce the problem.

If you have the time, please could you try building the quiz again. That is, add a new quiz to the course (you can make it hidden from students), then add the same 27 questions, and then see if that has the same bug? (Since the questions alrady exist, hopefully that would not take too long.)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Murray Simon -
Hi Tim - well that did the trick - I created a new quiz and deleted the old one and it is behaving ok now I think.. So I appreciate everyone's help - thank you very much.
In reply to Murray Simon

by Tim Hunt -
Still a bit worrying that the issue happened in the first page. I guess that quiz somehow got into a messed up state, but we will never know how.

That sort of bug is always really hard to diagnose. If it is a problem where you click this button, and that that error, then it is often quite easy to work out what is broken.

But if all you have is "some time in the past, we don't konw when, this thing got into a bad state" that is is much harder to know where to look.
In reply to Murray Simon

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Is it possible to get partial credit for a question? As Rick pointed out, rounding can bite you. I have not noticed it so much on grade to pass (but can totally see that happen) but it is super fidgety on Overall feedback grade boundaries.