Latest Chrome build (85.0.4183.83) broke Moodle 3.2.2+

Latest Chrome build (85.0.4183.83) broke Moodle 3.2.2+

by freddie valdez -
Number of replies: 12

I have a Moodle 3.2.2 that has been working for years, suddenly this weekend users started reporting issues, i traced it back to a chrome update that was released on the 26th. What happens is: when grading, using the assign_pdf moodle plugin, when you load the second student, it freezes the page.

The js console error is the following:

I went and checked a newer site v3.9.1 and it didnt have this error although the code was the same.

Code v3.2.2:

Code v3.9.1:

What could be causing this? and how can i fix it? It works fine in Firefox and Chrome version 84

Average of ratings: -
In reply to freddie valdez

Re: Latest Chrome build (85.0.4183.83) broke Moodle 3.2.2+

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Moodle 3.2 has been completely unsupported for over two years. Your solution is to upgrade.

There's almost certainly a reason that you don't want to. But this is why it's a really bad plan to get into a corner where upgrading is a problem.
In reply to Howard Miller

by freddie valdez -

Yes, i realize that, im in the process of upgrading to 3.9.2 but that wont be on production until 2021. Could it be a configuration somewhere around the editors ?

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I'm not sure what to say... you have a problem in an unsupported version. Your solution is to upgrade. That's your solution. Your difficulty in doing so is artificial or self-induced.

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
From 3.2 to 3.9 is also an unsupported long jump. You have to touch a release between 3.5 and 3.8 any way. How about an interim upgrade to 3.5 (LTS), which has practically the same system software requirements, provided you are already running PHP 7.0 or can upgrade to that? See http://www.syndrega.ch/blog/#php-and-dbms-compatibility-of-major-moodle-releases.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by freddie valdez -

Thank you for your concerns! We are not just updating the site, we're making a new one and leaving the older for course consulting, because we manage big amounts of data it's just better overall this way, nonetheless we have changes to check and make both between new themes and our own integration with Moodle (including db), this and other variables is why it takes months.

by Boris Gomez -

Hi.

We have Moodle 3.5 in 3 servers and we have the same problem with Chrome, even with Ms Edge.

No problem with Firefox.

In reply to Boris Gomez

by freddie valdez -

Hello Boris, 

A temporary fix, I haven't been able to test this further on our test server for multiple reasons, is to use the atto editor, this seems to be an issue with tinymce editor but when testing things with other plugins I found the error was fixed when using the atto editor.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Boris Gomez -
Thanks, again. It worked!
In our case, we have WIRIS (formula editor software that requires Atto and TinyMCE) installed in our Moodle.
Atto filter moved up in Text Editors
I moved "Editor HTML Atto" up to the first position.
In reply to Boris Gomez

by freddie valdez -

Glad to see that it worked!

I had to install other plugins to get the same features in the atto editor that TinyMCE had.

Im curious, are your TinyMCE and Wiris for TinyMCE plugins up to date?

by Boris Gomez -
Editor TinyMCE HTML
editor_tinymce - 2018051400

En 1 servidor:
Plugin WIRIS para TynyMCE
tinymce_tiny_mce_wiris - 2020022400

En otro servidor:
Plugin WIRIS para TynyMCE
tinymce_tiny_mce_wiris - 2019091700
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Boris Gomez

by freddie valdez -

Right, so mine are outdated as well, the other thing i was going to try was to update them, that may also fix the issue.