Bulk upload - users did not get email notification

Bulk upload - users did not get email notification

by Lilian Low -
Number of replies: 6

Hi there

This is my first time using bulk upload

There was no issue getting students into our Moodle cloud site & enrolment into the course. I can see their names listed as participants.

However, it seems the users did not get an automatic email notification, unlike when the manual authentication & enrolment process.

Would appreciate your advice with this.

Thanks.

Lil

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lilian Low

Re: Bulk upload - users did not get email notification

by Conor Bradley -
Is your Moodle site able to successfully send emails for other things e.g. notifications, updates available etc?
In reply to Conor Bradley

by Lilian Low -

Thanks Conor, for responding to my query.

Yes, our Moodle site is able to send emails, for example users will get notifications from Latest Announcements.

As mentioned in my query, users have no trouble receiving email notifications of their log in details with manual enrolments.

It's only when I do bulk enrolments that they don't get emails.

Not sure whether it's because it's Moodle Cloud & things get "lost" up there, ha! ha!

Thank you.

Lil

In reply to Lilian Low

by Eric Hagley -
I always use bulk upload and have never had an automatic email sent. It is my understanding that that is the way it is meant to be ie no emails sent. I don't want it changed either! My understanding is that if you bulk upload it means you have to contact the students / users with their password so sending them an email when bulk uploading would only confuse them (as there is no way you would include the password in the email). Hence, this is normal behaviour and no emails would have been sent.
In reply to Eric Hagley

by Lilian Low -
Thanks Eric, sorry I still don't get it.
Please pardon my ignorance as I'm not familiar with backend stuff, having usually done facilitation.

I can't understand that why when I authenticate & enroll each user manually, the user gets an automatically generated email with login details & the student will then change the Moodle-generated password after logging in for the first time.

But this doesn't seem to happen when the process is done in bulk, using the prescribed CSV file format. I can see the students have user access & are enrolled in the courses, but they are not given an auto email notification.

So, if it is as you said, it would be a tedious process to contact each student individually to advise them of log in details?

Thanks.
In reply to Lilian Low

by Eric Hagley -
Good evening Lilian,
Jon has put us in the know! Thank you Jon! I was incorrect. See https://docs.moodle.org/39/en/Upload_users#Passwords

Passwords

The "password" field is optional if the 'New user password' setting on the upload screen is set to "Create password if needed and send via email" but is required if the setting is "Field required in file".

An extra option you might also have is outlined in the section lower in that link:

Select for bulk user actions

After the uploaded file has finished being processed (all new accounts have been created and existing accounts updated as specified by the previous settings), there is an option to select some of those user accounts to perform additional bulk user actions such as

• ****  Send a message (requires Messaging to be enabled)  ****
Hence you will have to choose that and have messaging enabled and that should also send an email.

Hopefully that will help.
As to me, I tell the students in class their passwords are based on the details that are given to them at school registration. Obviously wouldn't work in a business situation though so I'm glad to see what Jon has noted.