Problem with SMTP

Problem with SMTP

by Alejandro González -
Number of replies: 5

Hi mates, i am facing to a SMTP problem. I am trying to send a mail from moodle using SMTP server. The problem is that i tried with all of it and it's impossible to get it. I tried:

- Custom SMTP, and not working.

- Gmaill SMTP, not working.

- Php mail, its working.

Also I verify telnet through SSH, and it's gettin a response. Anyone can help me? My version is 3.5.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alejandro González

Re: Problem with SMTP

by Sanjay P. K. -
To use gmail for SMTP, you have to enable two factor authentication, generate an app password and use that instead of your regular gmail password.

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi

> I am trying to send a mail from moodle

How exactly? Do you mean forum posts not going out as e-mail? Or (Moodle) messages not sent as e-mail? Or something else?

> using SMTP server.

Moodle always needs a SMTP server to sent e-mails out.

> The problem is that i tried with all of it and it's impossible to get it. I tried:

You don't need "all of it" (what are they?) just one way is enough. Let's take the first one:

> - Custom SMTP, and not working.

What is custom SMTP? Do you mean running a "Sendmail" on your localhost? Could you describe in more details how you configured, how you tested sending mails and how "not working" looks like?

> Also I verify telnet through SSH, and it's gettin a response.

"telnet through SSH"? Why do you need telnet if you have SSH? Do you mean you run 'telnet localhost 25' in an SSH terminal?
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Alejandro González -

Hi guys,

Sanjay respect to two factors, i test a wamp server without that two factor and it works. It was too simply puting smtp config and testing with the email Test plugin. But I don't understand why from my vps is not working.

Visvanath I answer to your doubts:

> I am trying to send a mail from moodle

How exactly? Do you mean forum posts not going out as e-mail? Or (Moodle) messages not sent as e-mail? Or something else? 

>>>> I tried with the email test plugin from my moodle, because from the chat neither was working. Then I decided to use the plugin.

The problem is that I have a moodle server at sered, but i bought a VPs server with Centos7 and I installed moodle on my own. All was working except that point (at this moment).

> using SMTP server.

Moodle always needs a SMTP server to sent e-mails out. 

>>>> I mean with an own SMTP server (smtp.example.online) or I also tried with  smtp.google.com. Both with the ports.

> The problem is that i tried with all of it and it's impossible to get it. I tried:

You don't need "all of it" (what are they?) just one way is enough. Let's take the first one:
        >>>>> I mean that I tried all configurations that i know.

- Google 

Doesn't work.

- Own SMTP: The same but with the other SMTP. Doesn't work.

-I tried with the php sendermail default (without any data in outgoing mail): This works, but i want with my "own smtp", not with php sender. Works

When the email test doesn't work the log is:

"

2020-08-27 11:47:31	Connection: opening to ssl://smtp.gmail.com:465, timeout=300, options=array()
2020-08-27 11:47:31	Connection failed. Error #2: stream_socket_client(): SSL operation failed with code 1. OpenSSL Error messages:
                   	                  error:1416F086:SSL routines:tls_process_server_certificate:certificate verify failed [/home/xxxxxx/public_html/moodles/lib/phpmailer/src/SMTP.php line 324]
2020-08-27 11:47:31	Connection failed. Error #2: stream_socket_client(): Failed to enable crypto [/home/xxxxxxx/public_html/moodles/lib/phpmailer/src/SMTP.php line 324]
2020-08-27 11:47:31	Connection failed. Error #2: stream_socket_client(): unable to connect to ssl://smtp.gmail.com:465 (Unknown error) [/home/xxxxxxx/public_html/moodles/lib/phpmailer/src/SMTP.php line 324]
2020-08-27 11:47:31	SMTP ERROR: Failed to connect to server:  (0)
2020-08-27 11:47:31	SMTP connect() failed. https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/wiki/Troubleshooting

"
I was looking for a solution on internet, and I can't get any one. 

I have SSL with letsencrypt through whm configuration.

> - Custom SMTP, and not working.

What is custom SMTP? Do you mean running a "Sendmail" on your localhost? Could you describe in more details how you configured, how you tested sending mails and how "not working" looks like?

> Also I verify telnet through SSH, and it's gettin a response.

"telnet through SSH"? Why do you need telnet if you have SSH? Do you mean you run 'telnet localhost 25' in an SSH terminal?

>>>>> Yes, write in a SSh terminal the command "telnet mail.****.***  25" and it connects.

Thx for your answers.

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Test against your own SMTP server and watch its logs.

(You still have to explain, what "doesn't work" mean. I won't follow up any further.)

> write in a SSh terminal the command "telnet mail.****.*** 25" and it connects.

What is connects? The SMTP service sends its HELO message? Can you also type a complete mail and send it. Keep the log file of the SMTP showing "real-time" (tail -f /path/to/the/file).
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Alejandro González -
Sorry Visvanath, my bad explication and thx for trying to understand it. With "doesn't work" i mean that email test doesn't work with that own SMTP (mail.****.***) neither gmail smtp. Own SMTP it's working in the other moodle... and I would like to work also here with it, or if it's not possible with gmail, but I wouldn't like to use php default (that it's the reason I am searching a solution for it).

With Gmail SMTP and telnet sends correct Helo message, I can't sent a complete email because when i write my password in base64 returns "535 Incorrect authentication data" (I tried my password and an app password, with 2 step).

I can't log because SMTP is from Sered, then I can't log it.

A lot of thx.