Getting calendar events from external system

Getting calendar events from external system

by Eric Ross Cortes -
Number of replies: 0

Hi there!

Currently my university is in the process of migrating from Claroline (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claroline) to Moodle, and the difference is superb! In particular, we are going to use the calendar events in each course to make everyone's life easier, BUT right now most of the relevant events and dates are in a different system, where we plan all the courses in each semester and put dates and activities and such. And we don't want the teachers to do the same work twice.

Is there a good strategy to make all the calendar events from the "other" system appear in Moodle? Is LTI a good choice in this case? Or the REST API is best? Or maybe I need to go directly to the database? My plan for now is to code some Python to get all the relevant events in the original system (directly from the database), and then do whatever I need to do to send the data to Moodle (using LTI, REST, direct db, etc).

(Yes, I'm simplifying a lot: we need some way to link both systems, so we can know that course X in one system matches course Y in moodle, but I wanted to ask first for the best strategy before starting to dig further).

Thanks in advance!

Average of ratings: -