importing from Blackboard

Re: importing from Blackboard

by Matt Campbell -
Number of replies: 0
From having extracted a number of these, I can give you my routine for importing BB6 quizzes.  It'd be nice if it was easier, but this does work.

I export the course and the quizzes, I then open up the zip file and read the imsmanifest.xml file.  I'll scroll through until I find the refence I'm looking for - it will either be a pool or test, like this:

<resource bb:file="res00005.dat" bb:title="Chapter 1" identifier="res00005" type="assessment/x-bb-qti-pool" xml:base="res00005" />

or

<resource bb:file="res00029.dat" bb:title="Final Exam" identifier="res00029" type="assessment/x-bb-qti-test" xml:base="res00029" />

This tells me that 'res00005.dat' is the pool file for my Chapter 1 quiz, and that 'res00029.dat' is the test file for my Final exam.

Since I can export pools by themselves, I do that.  These upload just fine.  For tests, I took an imsmanifest.xml from a pool and stripped it of eveything it didn't need, and changed the reference from pool to test.  I use this as my template for all my BB6 quizzes and have attached a copy.

I will then extract all the relevant .dat files and put them in a folder with my custom imsmanifest.xml.  I will rename each .dat to 'res00001.dat' (one at a time!) and then zip it with imsmanifest.xml and name the zip file something relevant (chapter01.zip, chapter02.zip, etc.).  I then delete the 'res00001.dat' file I just created and move to the next .dat file until I have all of that course's tests individually zipped.  I can then import the zip files into Moodle as a BB6 pool.

What would be nice is if the BB6 import process could read the course's imsmanifest.xml file and figure out the pool and test .dat files, instead of assuming that there is only one file called 'res00001.dat'.  It could then create an array, fill the array with all the proper filenames, and process the entire course (Putting each pool or test into a seperate category).  The biggest problem I see with this is that all of my instructors have multiple courses on one BB6 account, so if I export a course, I get ALL their quizzes, instead of just the quizzes for that course.  We'd also need an easy way to dump any unwanted test - perhaps a preview of the quizzes to be imported with checkboxes to delete the ones we don't want, therefore preventing them from being imported?

Whew!

Thanks,
Matt