Problems in updating from 3.5.to 3.9

Problems in updating from 3.5.to 3.9

by Irith Herman -
Number of replies: 2

I did an upgrade from 3.5 to 3.9, this is the first time I had so many problems

During the upgrade I got errors that a number of tables already exist, I read in the forums and found that they can be deleted and then the upgrade continues, I did so and the upgrade is over but there were a lot of errors in Moodle especially in examiners, questions.

I tried to upgrade again and ran into the same issues.

There were missing fields in the tables and there were missing tables, I completed them from the original file. I have a few more errors left that I can not fix. (This is an exam period and I can not repeat the process)

I have some tests with random questions that have disappeared and also the categories I do not know from which tables to take them.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Irith Herman

Re: Problems in updating from 3.5.to 3.9

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I hope you started with a 3.5 site backup ... db dump, archive of code directory (optional minimal moodledata/filedir).

Since there are many errors (none of which you've really shared debug info upon) think you might be best off restoring your 3.5.x site.   And do a minor update to highest 3.5 ... which is supported for security fixes ... ends in end 10 May 2021 - a long way off!

Can you clone your site to a dev site?   Then work on what you have to do (like sharing debug info) with the cloned dev site.

In prep for this upgrade did you do an environment check in the 3.5.x and assure you had PHP/MySQL other server stuff such that 3.9.x would run on your server?

You make mention of 'examiners, questions' ... dunno what 'examiners' is ... a special role? from an addon plugin?  The other thing to do in prep is check out plugins/themes to see if there are compat versions of those for destination version ... 3.9.1+.

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Irith Herman

Re: Problems in updating from 3.5.to 3.9

by Alain Raap -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Irith I upgraded from 3.5.13 to 3.9.1 with a test and that went smoothly. Did you also upgrade your database or wasn't that necessary?
Do you use certain plugins that need to be upgraded ? We had problems with Kaltura, and after upgrading the plugins our problem was
solved.