Moodle courses AND users not syncing to Teams

Moodle courses AND users not syncing to Teams

by Markus Strobl -
Number of replies: 8

Hi,
I thought it would be a good summer job, to bring our corona-lock-down-helpers teams and moodle together.
All steps implementing the conneciton were successfull.

Now trying to start the sync process I have got no synced users and no synced groups.

Our environment
Windows Server 2019 AD Server
Moodle 3.9.1 with the newest plugins

We are using LDAP to login to our moodle-server - so all our users are using SSO with our AD - we have only LDAP-synced users in moodle. no direct system users.
Can this be the problem?

Our SyncSettings
local_o365 | aadsync:
only option 3, 4 and 7

• delete previously synced accounts..,.
  • match preexisting moodle users with same-named accounts in azureAd
  • sync office 365 profile photos...

Output for task "\local_o365\task\usersync":
Deprecated: Directive 'track_errors' is deprecated in Unknown on line 0
Execute scheduled task: Synchronisieren Sie Benutzer mit Azure AD. (local_o365\task\usersync)
... started 16:23:17. Current memory use 3MB.
...... Starting sync
...... No skiptoken (delta) stored.
...... Using deltatoken.
...... Using delta sync.
...... Contacting Azure AD...
...... Got response from Azure AD
...... Storing deltatoken
...... Clearing skiptoken (delta) (none received)
...... No users received to sync.
...... Checking deleted users list...
...... Sync process finished.
... used 5 dbqueries
... used 1.019721031189 seconds
Scheduled task complete: Synchronisieren Sie Benutzer mit Azure AD. (local_o365\task\usersync)

Output for task "\local_o365\task\groupcreate"
Deprecated: Directive 'track_errors' is deprecated in Unknown on line 0
Execute scheduled task: Nutzergruppen in Office 365 erstellen (local_o365\task\groupcreate)
... started 16:24:48. Current memory use 3MB.
No groups waiting to have class notebook created.
All courses have a group recorded.
Attempting to create team for course #89...
Skip creating team for course #89. Reason: No owner
Attempting to create team for course #498...
Skip creating team for course #498. Reason: No owner
Attempting to create team for course #525...
Skip creating team for course #525. Reason: No owner
Attempting to create team for course #630...
Skip creating team for course #630. Reason: No owner
... used 58 dbqueries
... used 0.09017014503479 seconds
Scheduled task complete: Nutzergruppen in Office 365 erstellen (local_o365\task\groupcreate)

KR
Markus

github post: https://github.com/microsoft/o365-moodle/issues/1341

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Markus Strobl

Re: Moodle courses AND users not syncing to Teams

by Gus Hagelberg -

Hi,

we also have Teams and Moodle at our university and were looking into the "Moodle Integration" in Teams.

On this page from Microsoft they explain a bit about what it does and about how to install and configure it:

https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/microsoftteams/install-moodle-integration

My question, though, is whats the big advantage? This integration seems like a lot of work, but the benefit seems pretty minimal.

In Teams I can also simply add a tab and a "Website" app and and the URL to my course. The students do need to log in to Moodle (no Single Sign On).

What advantage does the "Moodle Integration" have.

I hope a Moodle Plugin will be created with which a teacher can create a Teams Team and take all the students from the Moodle course in to the Teams Team.

In reply to Gus Hagelberg

by Markus Strobl -
Hi Gus bzw. hallo Gus,

wir haben es genauso eingerichtet. Es sollte so funktionieren, dass bei Anlage eines Kurses in Moodle automatisch ein Team in Teams erstellt wird und genau dieser Moodle Kurs eingebunden wird. Zudem werden Benachrichtiungen in Moodle mit Teams ausgetauscht usw. Also eigentlich eine tolle Verbindung von moderner Technik wie Teams und einem pädagogisch seit fast Jahrzehnten toll entwickeltem Tool wie Moodle.

Nur nützt das nichts, wenn es nicht fkt.

Die Moodle User werden mit Azure AD (Office 365) über die gleiche Mailadresse connected - also ist SingleSignOn möglich, indem man sich in Moodle mit dem O365-Plugin authentifizieren kann.

Wir erstellen die User nicht in Moodle, sondern diese melden sich über LDAP an der Windows Domäne an. Die gleiche Windows Domäne spiegelt die User in das AzureAD. Damit haben wir sicher die gleichen Daten

Wenn sich was ergibt schreibe ich euch gerne

by Gus Hagelberg -
Hi Markus,

Thanks a lot. That does sound interesting. Do you know if, once its all working and the moodle course is synced with the Team, users are constantly being synced. If a new participants joins a Moodle course, are they then added automatically to the Team?
In reply to Gus Hagelberg

by Markus Strobl -
Here is the answer from the edu-Team, September 1st:

Hi Markus,
Apologies for the delayed response. I have reached out to ask for an update internally and will update again on 9/3.

so I think there will be no support or solution and therefore I give it up and try to concentrate on other solutions.

by Heather P -
We are also on Windows Server, but we have Moodle 3.8.4 and we can't get the sync to work either.
My Moodle users are currently on LDAP and I was trying to switch them all to openid for the office 365 log in without making them visit the Microsoft block on a Moodle page as that is way too complicated for a lot of our users.
Have you managed to solve it or is it still pending?
Thank you
Heather
In reply to Heather P

by Markus Strobl -
Hi Heather, the problem is still pending ... Microsoft promised me to have a solution today.... let's hope for it

Microsoft Education Support
August 20, 2020, 21:31 +0000
Hi Markus,

I have updated the same team with this information and will update again next week on Thursday as we expect to have an update by then.

Is that ok with you to wait until then?

Best Regards,
Bassel Atieh

by Heather P -
HI
Thank you. So hopefully you will have answer from them today. I do hope it is positive.

We found many references to what looks like the same issue. This one https://github.com/microsoft/o365-moodle/issues/1271 most closely resembles it and they claim it is fixed on the 23rd July. We have the version installed that it refers to as being fixed and for us it most certainly is not. (pluging 3.8.03)

I have had so very many requests to get the Teams integration working that I feel the need to keep trying, but I can't keep the live Moodle off line too long.

Regards
Heather
In reply to Heather P

by Markus Strobl -
Here is the answer from the edu-Team, September 1st:

Hi Markus,
Apologies for the delayed response. I have reached out to ask for an update internally and will update again on 9/3.

so I think there will be no support or solution and therefore I give it up and try to concentrate on other solutions.