Moodle Sever Performance

Moodle Sever Performance

by Abdullah Zayed -
Number of replies: 6

Hi,
we have 10K users and we guess will have 600 concurrent user, the user activity will be view and download files, submit assignments and quizzes.

Server Specs :

• Dedicated Server
  • 4 * CPU ( Xeon(R) E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz ) = 24 cores 
  • RAM : 128 GB
  • Port : 1GB
  • HD: 2TB SSD
  • CentOS 7.8 , Moodle 3.1, PHP 7.0, MariaDB 10.3

• Engintron                               Enabled
  • zlib.output_compression Enabled

is this server specs enough ? or i need higher ? or if i split the specs as  two servers (one web, one DB) it will be better ?
also i will install Redis on server this will help ?
what else i need to increase the server performance ?

thank in advance for support and help.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Abdullah Zayed

Re: Moodle Sever Performance

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
You should start by looking through this forum and reading lots of very similar questions.

What's your experience with Moodle? Do you have an existing Moodle site for this project? How large is it.

The last non-security update to Moodle 3.1 was over 3 years ago and support ended completely over a year ago. You definitely should not be running Moodle 3.1

Yes - Redis will help.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
+1

Apart from the series of very similar questions in this forum it is essential that you read the forum documentation (linked to the header of this forum). There is no Yes/No answer for the general question "Can server X handle N users?" You are welcome to come back with specific questions once a common understanding is set by doing the recommended reading.
In reply to Abdullah Zayed

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Just one SSD? split into three, one for O/S, Moodle and Database

if you intend to keep Database on same box, then set it up properly to make use of NUMA nodes, as database accessing memory will get performance hit as it will be scattered across 4 banks groups. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)