Disable shuffle in multichoice quiz item

Disable shuffle in multichoice quiz item

by Aaron Weinberg -
Number of replies: 10

I am adding a multichoice quiz item and need the answers to be in a particular order. The documentation (https://docs.moodle.org/39/en/Multiple_Choice_question_type) indicates that I can "Choose whether to shuffle the answer options" but I can't find this option anywhere on the page when I am editing the question.

Can someone point me to where I can disable this shuffling of answers?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Aaron Weinberg

Re: Disable shuffle in multichoice quiz item

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
As wise person told me once, you are always one checkbox away from your desired functionality -

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
I believe that you do this within the Quiz settings (see graphic.)
Attachment Shuffle.png
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Aaron Weinberg -
Hi Rick,

Thanks for the suggestion. Could you tell me where to find this "Question behavior" setting? I have spent a couple of hours searching and can't find it.

by Rick Jerz -
When you create the quiz, it is in Quiz settings. Once a quiz is created, it is in "Edit Settings" for the quiz.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Aaron Weinberg -
This is in a multichoice question that is part of a lesson, rather than a stand-alone quiz. I don't see an option to adjust this setting either when editing the multichoice question or editing the lesson. I'm attaching screenshots of what I see when I try to edit the settings for the question/lesson.

Is it just not possible to disable the shuffling of answers within a multichoice question as part of a lesson?

All of my questions were created in Respondus, so I'm importing them into Moodle rather than creating them from within Moodle.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Attachment Screen Shot 2020-08-15 at 12.02.47 PM.png
Attachment Screen Shot 2020-08-15 at 12.03.23 PM.png

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
@moderator please move this discussion to the Lesson forum.
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Disable shuffle in multichoice lesson item

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Thanks Joseph, as suggested I have moved the discussion to the Lesson forum.

by Rick Jerz -
I do not use "lessons," so hopefully someone else will be able to jump in and help.

by Julie Direnga -
I can confirm the issue. There seems to be no (apparent) way to turn off the answer option shuffle in a lesson activity.

On the documentation page you refer to, it says:
"This page was created for the Quiz module. A Lesson Multiple Choice or Multianswer question type looks the same to the student but is very different in the teacher's edit mode."
It does not explicitly mention the shuffling option, but I guess, it is one of these differences. This should be improved.
In reply to Julie Direnga

by Michaela Wagner -
Hi everybody!
I have been looking for a solution for the same problem.
We need all the options displayed in a predefined order - we do not want them to be shuffled.....
It would be great to have a solution for that.
Best M