Server Hardware and Storage requirements

Server Hardware and Storage requirements

by Irfan Aleem -
Number of replies: 7

Hello,

I am plaining to install Moodle on Azure. Can anyone guide me about server Hardware and Storage.

Scenario is 

Daily 3 classes 6:PM to 9:00PM

Each Class hours: 3       Daily total hours: 9 

Total students who will login and access portal same time: 45

That will be live sessions which we will record and students can see recordings later any time.

My main concern is that 3 hours session take how much MBs ?

Regards,

Irfan

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Irfan Aleem

Re: Server Hardware and Storage requirements

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
session timing isnt dependent upon memory, but number of users are.
if you plan to use BBB as conferencing and recording sessions, then you'll be setting up additional server based on Apache Tom Cat, other than your standard HTTP serving web server.
you can, however, use third party video site (YouTube, Vimeo) to share recorded sessions.
In reply to Usman Asar

by Irfan Aleem -
You mean I need two servers one for HTTP serving and one for BBB recorded sessions. is in it ?

you can, however, use third party video site (YouTube, Vimeo) to share recorded sessions.
(It means when live session will end then recording will save in YouTube, Vimeo. right ?)
In reply to Irfan Aleem

by Usman Asar -
Yes, BigBlueButton (BBB) that moodle is using mostly to do live interactive sessions and record them afterwards, but BBB doesn't runs on normal HTTP/PHP capable server, it runs on Apache TomCat, so even if your setup is Linux based, you still will be setting up an additional server just for BBB.

I recommended YouTube/Vimeo, to upload the recorded session, between the two, YouTube does offers Live and can be recorded to be served later on, Vimeo however wont allow live stream on basic package.
Both YouTube and Vimeo have limitations in terms of interaction of users, that you have to keep in mind, however both were recommended based on unlimited size upload to be watched later, as on a cloud server, you should keep in mind space and bandwidth will end up costly. Therefore Improvise wink
In reply to Usman Asar

by Irfan Aleem -

Sorry to ask you again as I am not clear on it. 

My question is BBB Live recorded sessions will save directly on YouTube or will I upload recorded sessions manually on YouTube?

My main concern is recorded sessions. are students able to see in Moodle or in YouTube. Recording will save where ?

Sorry but these are some confusing things for me.

Currently I am thinking to go with 2VCPU, 4GB RAM and 120GB SSD on Microsoft Azure. As I have 45 students right now who will join Live session same time like video conference. I can upgrade later. is it fine for now?

In reply to Irfan Aleem

by Usman Asar -

Irfan, recorded sessions from BBB will be saved locally (on server), that students can access from within moodle, but consider this that its encoding that surpass the requirements of 2 vCPU, you'll be needing a powerful system for this with at least 4 CPU's and not vCPUs.

if you can, make use of zoom and record locally (on presenters machine) later to upload to YouTube and link it within moodle.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Irfan Aleem -

Ok Thanks. I got some idea If need then I will ask again.