Missing parameter: moodle-bbb

Missing parameter: moodle-bbb

by Elie Hanna -
Number of replies: 7

Hi,

while hosting a BBB session through moodle, sometimes the instructor gets the sessions disconnected with the attached errors: a required parameter (action ) was missing.

any advice why this issue is happening?a required parameter was missing

a required parameter

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Elie Hanna

Re: Missing parameter: moodle-bbb

by Jesus Federico -
Picture of Plugin developers
Can you tell more about your set up? There are a lot of possibilities and it is not possible to say from your description.

Always provide versions of everything, (Moodle, the plugin, BBB). Also if the BBB server you are using is the one by default, you have your own, you are hosting BBB somewhere else)

And perhaps describe more when exactly that is happening. You mean the user is kicked out the session? or is just showing the error before getting the session?
In reply to Jesus Federico

by Elie Hanna -
hello Jesus,

the bbb is hosted locally and the default. moodle version is 3.8.2 and the bbb plugin version is 2.2.12. bbb server version 2.2.0

the user is kicked out of the session and giving the message as per the pictures. first time it happened at minute 96 and second time at minute 92
In reply to Elie Hanna

by Jesus Federico -
First of all, I would recommend you to update your plugin to the latest version. That is way outdated.

It seems to me that your server is configured to hold sessions with a maximum of 1.5 hours duration by default (it can be confirmed if all users are kicked out at the same time).

If that is the case then the issue is not related to the plugin by to BBB. You would have to get the administrator to update duration in your BBB server.

I would start looking at /usr/share/bbb-web/WEB-INF/classes/bigbluebutton.properties, lookup for defaultMeetingDuration=90, if you set up defaultMeetingDuration=0 the meetings won't have limit.

by Elie Hanna -
the defaultMeetingDuration is already set to 0. i will perform the plugin upgrade. is there any risk that the BBB activity in Moodle will be lost? since to upgrade we will have to remove the plugin and install the new one. we cannot do a simple upgrade

Elie
In reply to Elie Hanna

by Jesus Federico -
Updating the plugin is normally pretty safe. If anything goes wrong you could revert the code with no problem. In those cases the issue may be the database. For that, and if you want to play safe, make sure to backup the tables mdl_bigbluebuttonbn and mdl_bigbluebuttonbn_logs in case you have to revert it.

The most important part is, do not, I repeat DO NOT uninstall the plugin. Because you would lose all the activities and references to the recordings.

JF

by Elie Hanna -
Well noted Jesus.
i have the 'Install this update' button missing next to the BBB plugin. I guess a configuration file has to be changed in order to enable it. Do you have any idea what it could be?
Elie
In reply to Elie Hanna

by Jesus Federico -
You may have figured out already, but still, in case someone else have the same question.

You only need to replace the content in the directory containing bigbluebuttonbn with the code of the version you want to install.

What I normally do in those cases is to rename the current directory as .bigbluebuttonbn, so Moodle ignores its content, and then unzip the new version in a new bigbluebuttonbn directory. And simply go to notifications and Moodle will do the rest.

Also, don't jump from a super old version to the newest one. It is better to do the updates incrementally if there are too many versions in between.

JF