i'm stuck with Moodle installation...

i'm stuck with Moodle installation...

by mike anthony -
Number of replies: 13
after the database configuration at install.php, nothing happened... It didn't lead me through the creation of a config.php file where i can set up Moodle admin account..

It just shows a blank install.php page...

i can't figure out what went wrong...???

i'm just trying Moodle first on my localhost using Apache 2.0.44. I already have my PHP5.1.2 / MySQL running OK on my server. i also followed the installation guide - i  created a database for moodle before proceeding to install.php...i still can't figure out what went wrong... help please ???smile
Average of ratings: -
In reply to mike anthony

Re: i'm stuck with Moodle installation...

by Nick Holme -
You don't say if you are installing moodle on Linux or some other OS. If Linux, it may make a difference what distro. I had the same problem over the last few days installing on Ubuntu Linux. Look back a few threads and you will find the results under "For anyone having problems setting up Moodle!" I posted a wiki with the process that I eventually followed to set up Moodle successfully. You will find it at " http://www.schoolforge.org.uk/index.php/Installing_Moodle_on_an_Ubuntu_workstation "
The important bits are

- install apache2 - to check if this is OK go to http://localhost and you should see the apache welcome page.
- install PHP5 - then restart apache "/etc/init.d/apache2 restart" from the command line"
- install mysql (if you have a choice, mysql-server). You need to check at this point that you also have the following packages, if not install them manually.
- libapache2-mod-auth-mysql
- php5-mysql
- libapache2-mod-php5
These were the ones that stopped my installation from working.

restart apache again

- Now install moodle and use the following choices
web server Apache2
Database mysql-server
hostname localhost
admin username root (don't worry about the password)
owner moodle (don't worry about the password)

go to http://localhost/moodle/admin and you should be OK.
In reply to Nick Holme

by mike anthony -
sorry, i forgot to mention that im installing it using Windows XP. Im also wondering why it says on the installation that the GD library isnt present though i already enabled it on my php.ini file???smile
In reply to mike anthony

by Edson Chavez -

i have same problem too (blank page), about gd lib, apache search for php.ini in ur windows directory (example d:\windows, in my pc) u will copy u'r php.ini file on this location ( u'r windows directory) and change this line in php.ini

extension_dir = "u'r phpdirectory\extensions"

example at mi pc (extension_dir = "C:\php\extensions")

greetings

Edson

In reply to Nick Holme

by Nurzat Jumashev -

Hi,

I am new here. Heard about moodle two days ago. Tried to read the available info, but it is still fuzzy in my head.

I am based in Kyrgyzstan and my server is the US. I have downloaded moodle already. What is next? Please guide me through the installation process. Do I have to get a domain and upload moodle to the server and unpack it there?

Please tell me the how I should proceed preferably right from the very beginning.

thanks,
Nurzat

In reply to Nurzat Jumashev

by Dan Stowell -
Yes, you have to upload the files. I'd guess that you probably need to unzip it on your computer, and then upload the folder that is created.

As well as a web server you also need a database server (usually MySQL) that the webserver can access.

by Joachim Korte-Bernard -
If you want to run Moodle you need:
- a webserver (usually Apache 2.xx)
- PHP
- a database (ususally MySQL  5.xxx)

I would advise you the following: try to install your Moodle locally (after installing 
Apache, PHP and MySQL).
Moodle installation is normally very simple. You unzip the Moodle files into the folder, where Apache (the webserver) expects the htm(l) and php files. This is
on a Win installation as a default the folder htdocs. After unzipping start the index.php file and Moodle will guide you through the installation procedure.

Once you have done this locally, try an install on your webserver. 
In reply to Joachim Korte-Bernard

by Anthony Kohn -
 I would like to install and run Moodle on my PC (Win XP) and demonstrate it to my employer so we can get an e-learning environment working. I will not get access to the sever for this process (very protective government employer), does this mean I can't use Moodle this way?
In reply to Anthony Kohn

by Just H -
Hi Anthony

As long as you have administrator rights on your PC you should be able to install the WIndows package (includes Moodle and everything else you need) from near the bottom of the downloads page.

Never done it, so only assuming you need admin rights, give it a try smile

Regards
Harry
In reply to Anthony Kohn

by Jeff Wood -
Hi Anthony,

If I understand correctly... you want to run moodle from your own PC because you don't have server access?

This can be done easily with one for the

Complete Install Packages

available at the bottom of the page

http://download.moodle.org/

Simply download the one you want, unpackage it, and follow the directions. You should have a fully functioning version of moodle on your PC cool

I'm doing this for a conference I'm presenting at in May (just in case I don't have reliable web access).

Cheers

Jeff

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Moodle requires the "system components"
- a webserver; 70% of the world uses Apache

- a database server; either MySQL or PostgreSQL

- the webserver should be able to quarry the database server via the PHP scripting language.

Installation of Moodle itself needs four steps:
1. copying the PHP files to your webspace, which are readonly for the webserver

2. creating a writable directory, prefarably _not_ in your webspace

3. access to a database (read/write). which ultimately boil down to a username, password and a database name.

4. One you've done that just pointing your browser to your moodle URL will walk you through the installation process.

All these things in much more detail you can find in the official documentation http://docs.moodle.org/en/Administrator_documentation
In reply to Nick Holme

by Paul Stott -
Hi Nick

I've been following the wiki you posted on schoolforge however when I try to run the sudo apt-get update all I get is a load of error messages (I've deleted the # marks as suggested on anything to do with universe/multiverse in the sources list). As a result I do not think it is running php as it does not run the test.php. Also it will not install mysql.

I used a free install ubuntu cd that I requested from their site. Are there some programmes missing from it?

TIA

Paul
In reply to mike anthony

by tanis alia -
hello, I also have the same problem. I am trying to run moodle with Geocities Pro (winXP) and have all components installed to the server but the install.php page is blank and can't get past this point. Have you made any progress?smile