Import and Export Captivate Variables

Import and Export Captivate Variables

by Scott Burnett -
Number of replies: 2
Hello community, 
I am trying to figure something out and not sure where to put this. 
First, we are using Moodle 3.8 and I am developing content in Captivate 2019.

Here is the plan, we are developing a series of modules in Captivate for an Employee Onboarding course. Each module is targeting specific topics on policies, laws, procedures, and rules. The way the modules are being developed the learners receive a bit of information, then they are to complete a role-play situation. At the beginning of the course, the learner chooses an avatar, they receive points that go to leveling up, and choose some other variables which will be stored in the captivate module. 
I would like to export this data and store it somewhere to upload into subsequent modules. So when the learners access the subsequent modules the variables chosen, avatar, level, and points are uploaded as well.

So the question is....is there a way to store this information in Moodle somewhere? Can Captivate, I assume using Javascript, change this data through export process and then import the data later? 
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Scott Burnett

Re: Import and Export Captivate Variables

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
No - SCORM packages are designed/intended to be completely isolated/distinct packages. You cannot use the information stored by one package as data within another SCORM package.

If you haven't started on the content development yet, and if you're not tied to using Captivate for this you might want to check in with a Moodle Partner that provides content development services and they may be able to help guide you through using some different content development tools and Moodle plugins to help engage your learners.
In reply to Scott Burnett

Re: Import and Export Captivate Variables

by Josh Yavelberg -

Scott, 

I am looking at similar questions, but you are correct, there should be a way to string content across modules so long as the variables are consistent. I found a few articles that may set you down a path, but not a clear solution: 

Method for importing variables using JSON: https://www.jrdesign.com.au/captivate-importing-json/

Method for repeating variables across projects using shared actions: http://blog.lilybiri.com/rare-tips-for-shared-actions

You can also create a multi-SCORM package that may share variables, but I haven't tested it. There is apparently a way to string Captivate projects according to this course, but they may mean pulling together multiple captivate projects into a single file: https://www.easelsolutions.com/courses/captivate-advanced

I think you are in for a lot of creative coding if you want to go down this route, but for ease, you may just make the course a single experience with a branching UI developed within Captivate that navigates to each modules and tracks completion of each.

Hope that helps!