Back end // Front end

Back end // Front end

by Camille Drupaz -
Number of replies: 5

Hello,

We are looking for an LMS, and I have compared several different options.

The developer told me that currently the trend is to use a technology that separates the Back end from the Front end, and that Moodle surely did not have this option because it is an older technology.

What impact does this have? What would be the arguments to consider that this is not so important?

From what I have seen at the functional level Moodle is the LMS that has the most functionalities (perhaps Totara has more native functionalities but the list of Moodle plugins surpasses them).

However the great criticism of Moodle is its UX, however I have seen that with some premium themes, this could be greatly improved.

Is this true ? What could you recommend on this point?

Thanks for your answers,

Best regards.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Camille Drupaz

Re: Back end // Front end

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers
Well, from my understanding, your developer needs to catch up. Moodle has been around a while, yes, but that doesn't mean it has been standing still. AFAIK, the code and the database can be placed on two different servers and it still works as it should, so I am not sure what is meant by "separation" in this case. There was a post recently about a new data extraction layer being set up for cockroachdb, and that is really separating the DB from the app. It is up to the Owner of the Moodle as to how they set it up. I suggest any discussion around this point needs more clarification about your definition of "separate" or is meaningless.
AFAIK, Totara is actually a Moodle knockoff, if you look into the code, you should see a Moodle trademark in there somewhere. What do you consider "native functionalities"? As opposed to what? Non-native functionalities?
As far as the UI is concerned, yeah, it's ugly IMHO. Some of the themes have improved its look greatly, but it is still pretty clunky. There has been a lot of emphasis placed on development of activities, of resource types, of plugins, and not much on the UI at core level. (Having said that, the people who have developed themes deserve real recognition for their work, thanks guys.) This obviously detracts from the UX, but recently there has been a change in the approach by Moodle.org, creating a UX team, so hopefully the front end will become completely detachable.
I have to suggest here that a simple UI is best for good UX and Moodle has not got an easy UI.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Well, if you have employed a developer to guide you, what are you asking us? A second opinion? You are guaranteed to get more that one second opinion.

If _you_ want to make a decision, don't ask around. Get a Moodle instance of your own running. You know that it doesn't cost anything, if you are the do-it-yourself type?

by Beatriz Rojo -
Well, the print is also an old technology but I wouldn't say it's outdated or useless 😉. I subscribe what Colin and Visvanath suggest and would just add from my experience that yes, everyone (digitally- analphabet users, competent digital users, software developers, ...) complain about the GUI, but I've been using Moodle since 1.9 and can only, like Collin, admire the GUI development.
What I do is to constraint what users can see depending on the scenario. For instance, some of the functionalities I've disabled in my current scenario are:
  • no badges or grades available from the menu
  • communication happens through Slack, so I have deactivated the forum
To sum up, as an admin you can still customize the GUI to make it simpler for users.

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
'I have seen that with some premium themes,'
If by premium you mean having to pay for, I strongly recommend the many free (and I mean free not fremium) themes available for the plugins database. 

As for separating the Back end from the Front end, the best demonstration is the Mobile app which is driven by calls to web services, i.e. a complete separation of server side from the presentation.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)

by Zoe P -

Hi Camille,

Great question! Having an integrated LMS platform essentially means that you have access to the Front End in the form of a Mobile Learning App, as well as the Back End which is the LMS.

EdApp's integrated LMS platform offers compatibility and standard options (xAPI, SCORM), as well as various other features, like template-based authoring and a Canva integration, which you can have a look at here, https://www.edapp.com/lms-features.

Some other great features unique to EdApp features are the free content library, gamified learning, and role-based permissions.

Based on what you are looking for, EdApp seems to be a perfect solution for you.

Hope this helps!