H5P Interactive Video not transferring grades to gradebook

H5P Interactive Video not transferring grades to gradebook

by Keith Landa -
Number of replies: 20

We're running Moodle 3.6, and have the Interactive Content (ie, H5P) plug-in installed.

I'm getting ready to give a faculty workshop on using the Interactive Video content type.  I've added an Interactive Content activity, set it up to be an Interactive Video content type with a YouTube video, and added 2 multiple choice interactions, 1 true/false interaction, and a set of statements at the end.  This is set up to be a 10 point graded activity, and the item shows up in the gradebook setup.

When I log in as a student and play through the video, the MC questions and T/F pause the video as expected, and I can select a variety of correct and incorrect answers.  When I try to look at my score as a student, I don't see my grade in the gradebook, and if I click on the activity link in the gradebook, I get a message that "This user hasn't submitted an answer to the H5P yet".  If I look at the gradebook as instructor, there is no grade for this item in the gradebook, even though the student has completed the activity, clicked on answers for all of the questions, played the video through to the end, etc.

What do I need to do to get the summary grade from the H5P Interactive Content activity to be transferred to the gradebook?

Also, I suspect this is not the case, but is there any place where the instructor can see a summary of the responses for all of the students to the interactive questions in an Interactive Video activity?

Thanks.

Keith Landa, Purchase College SUNY

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Keith Landa

Re: H5P Interactive Video not transferring grades to gradebook

by Keith Landa -
Problem is solved. I created an Interactive Video activity at the H5P.org site using my account there, downloaded the *.h5p file, and imported it into an Interactive Content activity on our Moodle site. That triggered the installation of several new components and updating of many more, and now the student view has a 'Submit' button that shows up at the end of the video. Grades are then transferred to the gradebook.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Keith Landa

by Beatriz Rojo -
Thanks for sharing this, Keith. The solution is good, but actually the goal of installing the plug-in is to manage the content from Moodle itself, isn't it? At the moment, my scenarios don't need to grade and/or track H5Ps, but I'm interested to see what happens when we implement them in more formal learning settings.
Have you found out how to keep/activate those updates without having to upload an .h5p file?
Thanks!
In reply to Beatriz Rojo

by Keith Landa -
After the upload of content that I created at H5P.org forced the update of the Interactive Video content type on our Moodle system, I set up a new Interactive Video activity using the plugin in our Moodle system, and that one worked as well. The one I did earlier was not fixed, but it looks like going forward that creating new activities will be OK. So thankfully I'm set for the workshop tomorrow. (Well, today actually.)
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Keith Landa

by Erin Collier -
Have you found a method to give grade directly in Moodle? I'm sure I could figure out what you are talking about above, but I'v already created all my videos and do NOT want to do it again!
In reply to Erin Collier

by Keith Landa -

I thought uploading the one activity that I created at h5p.org forced an upgrade to the H5P components on our Moodle system and fixed the problem, but it appears to be an issue again.  So I'm not sure we have a fix yet.

We're also stuck on an old version of Moodle (3.6) for a variety of reasons, and won't be able to upgrade until next semester.  I hope upgrading to the recent version of Moodle might fix this.

Crazy time now with the beginning of the semester, so I won't have time for a while to trouble shoot.

In reply to Beatriz Rojo

Ri: Re: H5P Interactive Video not transferring grades to gradebook

by Denis Biliato -

Hi Beatriz, I've the same issue and I would like to solve it from Moodle.

Did you find something about this?

In reply to Denis Biliato

Re: Ri: Re: H5P Interactive Video not transferring grades to gradebook

by Beatriz Rojo -
Hi Denis,
no I haven't. This is not (yet) a big issue in my case because we do not track H5P activities, but we might in the future. Also, I've 3.9 and use the core activity and I don't use the plugin anymore.
In reply to Beatriz Rojo

Ri: Re: Ri: Re: H5P Interactive Video not transferring grades to gradebook

by Denis Biliato -

Hi Beatriz, thank you so much 

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Denis,

If you're using Moodle 3.9, as far as I know you can add an H5P interactive video to your course as an H5P activity and the grades should be transferred to the gradebook.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Helen Foster

Ri: Re: H5P Interactive Video not transferring grades to gradebook

by Denis Biliato -

Hi Helen, probably the issue is that. I'm still using 3.8.4 version. I will update it.

Thank you so much

Re: Ri: Re: H5P Interactive Video not transferring grades to gradebook

by ZULMA A. GONZALEZ -

Hello. I have the same problem with a quiz. Not transferring grades to gradebook. I saw videos and the student should see a submmit button. But its not working. 

In reply to Helen Foster

by Bohumil Havel -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
This is not the solution for many installations sad
In reply to Bohumil Havel

by Greg Lind -

I'm having a similar (or same) problem with Moodle 3.10 and the latest H5P mods (20201110900).

I posted

to illustrate the problem.  I'm posting it here and I also posted it at H5P.org in hopes of resolving the issue(s) that cause this. I welcome the possibility that it's something about my setup. I'm just out of ideas.

At the time I made the video, my specs were:

• Moodle 3.10+ (Build: 20201113)
  • mod_h5pactivity 20201110900
  • qformat_h5p 1.05 2020071507
  • filter_displayh5p 2020110900
  • atto_h5p 2020110900
That's running on CentOS 8 with its default but up-to-date PHP, MariaDB, etc.

In reply to Greg Lind

by Greg Lind -
I should've included h5plib_v124
In reply to Greg Lind

by George Josling -

Hi everyone,

Also started experiencing the same issue at hand.

Has anyone tried reverting back to a previous H5P version on Moodle.

I'm running on Moodle 3.9.2 and H5P 1.21.0 (2020080400)

PS - all grades were captured in the past, only started noticing the same issue after the H5P plugin was updated to the latest version.

In reply to George Josling

by Greg Lind -
Follow-up and maybe a solution follows. I'm kind of long-winded so you'll have to bear with me.

Definitions: it drives me kind of crazy when students are trying to troubleshoot and they say "it doesn't work" or "it's working." What do you mean? It freezes? File not found? Give me something smile

So when I say any variation of "it didn't work" or "it doesn't work" I mean after successfully completing an interactive video assignment (as shown in the video I posted earlier in this discussion) the student grade is not posted to the grade book.

When I say "it's working" I mean after the interactive task is completed the grade is posted in the grade book as expected/anticipated and the way it used to be posted in my experience.

Having said all of that:

It's working! My challenge is to try to figure out why it didn't work and now why it's working again. If we can't figure out why it works/doesn't work we can't trust it with hundreds or thousands of students. I really love the functionality of H5P so I'm trying to contribute to this conversation.

Today I updated and/or modified a few things on my productions server where I was experiencing the issue. Unfortunately, this is something of a kitchen-sink approach so it's impossible at this point to know which one (if any!) resolved the issue. I'm posting all that I can remember in the hopes that someone who understands the way H5P and Moodle play together will read my process and thereby sleuth-out the actual problem so that it can be shared with others.

First of all, I made a new Moodle installation on a VM so that I could start fresh, examine defaults, etc., and possibly recreate the problem.
  • Fresh installation of CentOS-Stream-8 (as of Dec 22, 2020)
  • Fresh Moodle 3.10 installation via git (12/23/2020)
  • Fresh install of Interactive Content - H5P activity plugin
As I installed CentOS on the new VM, I decided to use PHP 7.4 from the Remi repository. CentOS 8 uses 7.2.x, but 7.2 will be retired soon. Also I wondered if perhaps H5P wasn't playing well with PHP 7.2. This will come into play a bit later.

In the past I had migrated an old Moodle installation from server to server. Also, I had been updating the code and database along the way. It was at least five years old, and maybe more like seven. While I was going through the relatively simple steps of installing a new instance of Moodle on the new VM I realized that my production server had become a messy kludge of solutions I had patched on over the years--plugins that are no longer used, odd bits of code in the config.php file that are now redundant, etc.

This caused me to go over my production server's setup more carefully. Here are some things I "discovered." I'm embarrassed to post them, but hey, in the spirit of trying to eliminate this issue, here goes. All of this led to a process that results in H5P working again, otherwise I wouldn't bore you with the details. PS = production server, VM = the new virtual machine.

• PS: the moodedata directory was stored alongside my moodle directory in the web root. With a new installation of Moodle that throws an error and is just not allowed. D'oh! I moved it ouside of the web root. I didn't see this until I could not install Moodle on the VM using the same file organization that I had on the PS.
  • VM: once I got Moodle installed and functional, I realized that there was no memcache on the new VM. After installing on the VM I thought that perhaps I hadn't done it on the PS. I had done it, but while investigating I realized CentOS's default PHP 7.2.x doesn't let you install php-pecl-memcache! Probably that wouldn't be a big deal, but I had set some memcache parameters in my config.php file on the PS so that certainly wasn't functioning correctly. Gulp. I commented them out.
  • PS: At this point I decided to update to PHP 7.4.x from the Remi repo. Thus I was able to install php-peci-memcache and all other necessary extensions.
  • PS: When I set up the new memcache cache store I got a blank page on the site. I found this post where a memcached issue was resolved by deleting moodledata/muc.
  • PS: Now with a working cache store I reviewed known cache definitions under Site admin >> Plugins >> Caching >> Configuration.
  • PS: I found H5P content-type libraries translations and H5P library files then edited their mapping and set both to use my new memcache store. (FWIW I don't see how this could help or hurt, but it's what I did)
With that done I felt that I should run through an interactive video again to confirm that it didn't work before I moved on.

Imagine my surprise when it worked! I tested different interactive videos in different classes and they all worked as expected. New scores are passed into the gradebook. Old scores that were captured prior to its current state remain manually viewable (again, see video in prior post) but are not entered into the gradebook--that's acceptable and not really a surprise.

Okay, so TLDR here's a list of steps the contributed to getting it working again:
  • check config.php file for errors and redundancies. Remember, I had grandfathered in old code that referred specifically to memcache, but memcache wasn't running. I imagine that would cause Moodle to fall back to some other means of caching, but I don't really know how that works. Generally, the site was working very well and the only "bug" that I've been able to identify was H5P not working as expected (see vid).
  • check location of moodledata, which seems more of a deal-breaker today than it did in the past
  • delete /muc directory (?) Since I found I hadn't set up memcache correctly, I wondered if some of the data stored in /muc was corrupt and/or not properly read/writable. Clearly, I have essentially no knowledge of how memcache works with Moodle and/or H5P.
  • Upgrade from CentOS 8's PHP 7.2.
That list reads like an ad from a snake-oil salesman. Do your own research. I'm not suggestion you just do this! 

Finally, maybe I just got lucky. I don't know why it stopped working. I don't really know why it started working again. I didn't test it immediately before I made these changes because it had not worked in so long I had put it aside until this winter break when I could peek under the hood without students hitting the server.

Anyhow, thanks for reading. I welcome any thoughts including "dude, that has nothing to do with H5P! Glad you patched up your server, tho!"

-Greg
In reply to Keith Landa

by Arnold Murdock -

Has there been any resolution to this issue?  I am using v3.9 with an interactive video and grades are not being sent to the gradebook for some users.  Any info is appreciated.

In reply to Arnold Murdock

by Oliver Tacke -
Hi!

I have not followed up the whole thread, but a common problem with result submission is this: H5P Interactive Video does not report the results unless the user has sent them. In order to do that, the author will have to add at least one "submit screen" (via the star symbol). That will cause a submit screen to pop up at the respective time, and users can open it using the star symbol at any time. There should be a submit screen thats added to the end of the video automatically as well - but if users don't watch up to that point ...
In reply to Oliver Tacke

by Arnold Murdock -
Hi Oliver...thanks for your reply.

Yes, my h5p activity has a submit screen and the submission is being made successfully. It appears that no attempt is being logged by the h5p even though the user submits it. Also, it seems almost random.....some users get a grade and some do not. I have not been able to determine any commonality between the users.

I did find this thread on the h5p site....it appears that others are having the issue as well.... https://h5p.org/node/1082873#comment-39395
In reply to Arnold Murdock

by Oliver Tacke -

I see. Sorry, then I probably can't help but only hope that someone facing the same issue can isolate the problem.