Unable to add activities to courses after installing plugins

Unable to add activities to courses after installing plugins

by Lishantha de Silva -
Number of replies: 18

Hi, 

I'm using the latest Version of moodle and running Adaptable theme. 

I noticed that when I turned 'Course requester' on, I cannot add activities and resources or customize any course. Therefore, I deactivated the module and I could edit courses as it used to be. 

This happened yesterday and today I tried adding few plug-ins such as Analytics, Kopere dashboard and Live-rooms and I'm experiencing the same issue again. I cannot edit any course. 

I uninstalled all those plug-ins and tried, but it's still not working. I switched to all user types but it's not working for anyone or anytime. 

Please could someone urgently help me... 

Attachment Screenshot_20200702_010858.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lishantha de Silva

Re: Unable to add activities to courses after installing plugins

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
What happens if you switch to the core Boost theme?

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Theme does not show a version for 3.9+.   Shows one for 3.8, however.

https://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversions.php?plugin=theme_adaptable

Suggest same as Howard.   Change theme to boost.  See if that makes a difference.

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Lishantha de Silva -

Hi! 

Thanks for your prompt response. I changed the theme and it works fine now. 

But the problem is that I have done customizations and built it for a requirement and I'm unable to do so with boost theme. 

Hence is there a way to keep using adaptable and find another way to edit the course as it was working fine. Or else, will running an old backup work for me? 

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Fix the Adaptable theme...

It depends how you did your customisations. If you mean a custom theme then I hope you created a child theme or adaptable rather than modifying Adaptable itself (meaning you're stuck with some old versions). If you did modify core code or the theme then - unfortunately - you have a problem. The way forward being to use the latest Adaptable (which I assume works) and create a proper child theme.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Lishantha de Silva -
I did the changes on the theme itself...

by Howard Miller -
I'd like to say something helpful to you... but... really that was a mistake. You now know why.

There are several things you can do, none of which are likely to be easy. You can merge all the changes that were made to the Adaptable theme since you modified it and see what happens. You'd need to be pretty comfortable with Git (or be prepared to find out). Or - and I think this is more sensible - read about child themes in the dev docs and create a completely new child theme of Adaptable (so no changes to Adaptable itself) with just your requirements.

I'm going to move this to the Themes forum... the themes gurus there might be more use than me (likely)

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi,
You say you did the changes in Adaptable theme itself. Can you give me an example of which files you altered?
Themes, especially ones like Adaptable can be somewhat delicate especially if you do something wrong in your coding.
Thanks
Mary
In reply to Mary Evans

by Lishantha de Silva -
Hi Mary,

I did customisations only to the appearance through the options they have provided. I did not change the coding.

I cleared cache of the theme and reinstalled a fresh copy as well, but still I don't see the edit course button.

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Broken JS somewhere? And what version of Moodle are you running?
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Lishantha de Silva -

I'm running 3.9

It all started happening when I configured course requester and after installing few plugins... 

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
In that case, please read: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=406419 - as Adaptable does not currently work on Moodle 3.9. Please switch to another theme or attempt a downgrade back to Moodle 3.8 using the backups you made before the upgrade.
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Lishantha de Silva -

Ah.... hard luck... will try to do so...

BTW, this thread (https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=342496) says that you cannot downgrade. And I can't find previous backups either...

Thank you in advance for your advice.

by Moja Edukacja -
Hi

I have the same problem. Never ending Loading...
Any help? soolution? workaround ?
moodle 3.9+, adaptable theme but also i have the same situation on standard boost theme; 

can the problem be related to activities that block the window from being displayed? Which plug-in / activity is it and how to verify it?
In reply to Moja Edukacja

by Moja Edukacja -
after long searching and testing ....solution: customcert plugin (and missing outcome sub-plugin)
delete item from database, and now everything is working fine.

In reply to Moja Edukacja

by Lishantha de Silva -
Hi!

Where can I find this...

by Moja Edukacja -
This is just my case. There was a plugin error in my installation, it might be a different plugin or activity module for you. Check if you have any errors (marked in red) on the list of installed plugins and modules.
Table config_plugins

by Gareth J Barnard -
You can downgrade if you do a complete site restore from a backup that you made before the upgrade.