Blocking guests from site news

Blocking guests from site news

Höfundur Peter Holmes -
Number of replies: 3
Hi

As we use site news for our announcments to our students and we don't want guests to read it.
To get around this, we made up a new course, called it University news, enrolled everyone but guests and use that as our site news.

But now we want to use site news as the middle of the front page, but this then opens it up to guests reading it.

I have been through the whole of this site and I can not find 2 things.

1. how do you block site news from guests?
2. how do I put our university news as the center of the home page? I have tried using "use arbitrary html or topic" setting in site settings, but then I can not see any way of adding our news to this section, even with editing enabled.

Hope this all makes sense?

Peter
Meðaltal dóma: -
In reply to Peter Holmes

Re: Blocking guests from site news

Höfundur Steve Hyndman -

Peter,

Set the site to force login and don't allow guest access. Then in site settings, set the front page format to show news items and if you want them to show at the top, don't show a topic section.

There is no way that I know of to keep your "site" open to guests, show news items in the center column on the site, but hide the news items from guests at the same time.

Steve

In reply to Peter Holmes

Höfundur Jonathan Moore -
I don't know if you want to go to this much trouble but there are 2-3 cms integration modules for moodle that would probably give you more flexibility. It wouldn't strickly be using the site news then but the equivalent feature in mambo or similar content management system.
In reply to Jonathan Moore

Höfundur Peter Holmes -
Thanks for all the ideas.
In the end it was easier for me to make up a new site called guest and then redirect guests to that site instead of letting them see inside our real site.
This has worked quite well and I can now have site news in the center of the home page.
Peter