General help

Ali
Word censorship problem

Is there a way to make Word censorship case sensitive or match case or exact match? I'm facing the following problem with this filter. It censors part of a word. For example, the Name Dicknes is divided the first four letters are censoed and the rest of the word (nes) is left. This is a shortage in the filter.

Any help will be appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
Martin in black and white
Re: Word censorship problem
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers
The whole idea of censorship is flawed, try catching all these for example:

dik
dikhead
d ick
diCk
d i c k
dicky
trickydick

Picture of Ger Tielemans

And catch also Martin's old example, something like: During this cold weekend

Ali

Thanks Martin & Ger,
I thinks it is good to have censorship, but sometimes it spoils the posts especially when there are keys words that have the combination of letters which are similar to the censored word.
This why I was thinking if there is a little modification that will help controlling the matching.

Picture of Joseph Rézeau
Group DevelopersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators
I would personally say that not only the whole idea of censorship is technically flawed, it is ethically undefendable. I am truly amazed at this obsession with censorship. If a survey were organized on the Moodle forums on this topic I would vote for the immediate removal of the censor filter from current and future Moodle distributions.evil

Joseph

Picture of Frank Newman

I see the problem. But perhaps instead of deleting the word, an "inappropriate word" message could be sent to the teacher of the course. (Then appropriate 'measures' could be taken on the offender. Parents would like to have a security blanket of knowing that the chat is filtered. Should this be a admin issue or a course teacher issue? --perhaps the option should be given to the course teacher.--

Picture of kathy hooper

Just as there is a list of bad words, could there not also be one of allowed words. For example one of our teachers name is Newdick and so she is censored down to New.  If there was a list of allowed words her name could be added and not censored.
kathy