Convert existing H5P content

Convert existing H5P content

by Colin Napier -
Number of replies: 9

So about 2 months ago we installed the third party plugin https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_hvp Interactive H5p Content into our Moodle 3.8 site

Our staff love it. They have made a stack of H5P activities in their courses.

Now that 3.9 has H5P built in I had hoped I could disable the 3rd party plugin and the built in implementation would take over the display of these activities. But it does not appear to.

Other than the staff setting each activity to allow downloads, downloading each one, reuploading into the content bank and then re-inserting into all of their courses, is there a way to "convert" the existing activities over to use the new implementation en masse?

Many thanks in advance

Colin

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Colin Napier

Re: Convert existing H5P content

by Daniel Thies -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I think the recommendation is to keep the older plugin enabled to support to existing content. They should not interfere. I might suggest however that you remove the capability mod/hvp:addinstance from all your teacher, course creator and manager roles so that any new content will have to use the new implementation.
Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Daniel Thies

by Stuart Mealor -
Yes, that's my understanding.
The two can operate side by side, for now.
Maybe Moodle 4.0 will have a convert process.
Even so, the way H5P is added, using a content bank, might also be a fundamental issue here.
In reply to Stuart Mealor

by Gemma Lesterhuis -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Colin,

They are working on a plugin that will support a migration from H5P plugin to the H5P core functionaliteit.
This is the tracker: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-67203

Gemma
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Gemma Lesterhuis

by Stuart Mealor -
Just to add some experience to this.
I just updated a site and used the migration tool.
Out of around 200 H5P objects, we have just under 20 that did not migrate.
Most of the errors messages are:
"Error migration hvp activity with id 413: Coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer: moodle_database::update_record_raw() id field must be specified."
and another group of errors as:
"Error migration hvp activity with id 287: Error writing to database"

I note that around half of the objects that did not convert are Branching Scenario type, but also a few Collage, a few Column, and one

I used the web interface, and elected to hide the original H5P objects, so nothing has been lost. But given the error rate here I would strongly recommend anyone using this plugin to migrate uses the Hide option, and maybe not the Delete option. Of course, if you can backup your server first and try that will allow you to roll back.

We have some clients with around 200 H5P's on their Moodle site, created using the plugin, so any other comments we can add here might prove useful for others smile

Also ... none of this appears to be accessible in the Content Bank ... which is a bit of c problem !

I will also add this to the plugin page: https://moodle.org/plugins/tool_migratehvp2h5p
Average of ratings: Useful (3)

by Sara Arjona Téllez -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Stuart!

Thanks for your comments! I've been fixing some of the issues raised for the Migration tool and I'm planning to release a new version next week so it would be great if you could share with us some more information to reproduce these errors you mentioned.

I've tested using some of the "Branching scenarios" and "Collage" examples in h5p.org but they have been migrated without any errors, so any clue to reproduce these errors will be more than welcome wink

If you have more information, could you please create an issue in https://github.com/moodlehq/moodle-tool_migratehvp2h5p/issues ? If you need some guidance or prefer to post this information here, I can create this issue there on your behalf smile

Apart from that, I'm planning to take a look at https://github.com/moodlehq/moodle-tool_migratehvp2h5p/issues/11, related to make these contents available in the content bank too, during my project week too wink

Kind regards!
Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Sara Arjona Téllez

by Stuart Mealor -
Thanks Sara
OK, well I think I still have a snapshot of that site where the some of the H5P's failed to upgrade.
So, next week I'll check and try the upgrade again.
Might turn on developer level reporting to see if it catches more data that will be useful to you.
Stu.

by Sara Arjona Téllez -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Thanks a lot Stuart!
It sounds great!! Hopefully, with the developer level reporting, you'll get more information and we will be able to reproduce these errors!! 🤞
Looking forward to hearing from you next week!
Enjoy the weekend!

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
WE had also great successs in migration. Our first client migrated > 2.500 HvP objects with less than 50 failures. It was not clear how many of them were broken before migration. An other client is just migrating with a similar number of objects. If we get information about concrete problems we will report them.
Thanks for the tool.

by Colin Napier -
At first I thought I could use the content bank to help me. I tried to upload an H5P and then use Server Files to grab the older ones from the course itself and import them but they do not show up under Server Files.

Good to know there is a plugin under development. And the suggestion to disable the ability to create old ones is brilliant, I think this will help limit the issue for now and then hopefully a conversion plugin will surface before August for the new school year

Many thanks to you all for the insight. I really appreciate it.