qtype formulas (moodle 3.8)

qtype formulas (moodle 3.8)

by Hubert Ambrois -
Number of replies: 9

Hello

I am new with using of qtype formulas in Moodle.
My question is :

I have 2 answers box placeholders say H and L (_0 and _1)
Can I use these variables in others subquestions to do intermediate calculations ?
In fact can I use them as global variables ?

Thank you for your response
Hubert AMBROIS

Institute of technology of Reunion Island

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hubert Ambrois

Re: qtype formulas (moodle 3.8)

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello Hubert,

_0 and _1 are student answers. They can be used as local grading variables in the current subquestion but not in other sub-questions which have their own student answers.

With the Formulas question, the use of student answers in the rest of the calculations is possible but limited because this type of question was not designed for this purpose. If you are interested in this ability, take a look at the STACK question.

For an example with the Formulas question, see here

In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Hubert Ambrois -

Hello,

Thank you for your response.

I am a teacher in the civil engineering department of the IUT of Réunion (French island) and have been using the Moodle platform for a few years. I recently discovered the "question formula" tool of the "test" activity.

I have developed labs in structural mechanics with the Google sheets tool that I would like to transfer to the moodle platform, using the formula question in particular.

My questions are:

Which drawing plugin (among the many proposed) do you recommend for drawing curves (typically N, V, M stress diagrams in a portal frame for example)?

Do you have any test examples with "formula" questions to suggest (we learn faster from examples)?

Can we draw students diagrams ? with students answers (using _0, _1...variables)

Thanking you in advance

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Bonjour Hubert,

Which drawing plugin (among the many proposed) do you recommend for drawing curves (typically N, V, M stress diagrams in a portal frame for example)?

The "Atto: Sketch" drawing editor allows students to draw simple curves from scratch in a essay question (for example for beams). Drawings can be saved and have to be marked manually.

The "Free hand drawing" question type also allows students to draw simple curves from scratch in a test (for example for beams). Drawings can be saved and marked automatically.

The Online structural analyser STRIAN allows students draw more advanced curves, for example for 2D frames. The program can be embedded into a question using the <iframe> tag. The model cannot be saved in the question.

by Hubert Ambrois -

Thank you Dominique

I'm going to test all theses possibilities.

And what plugin (chart.js, geogebra, canvas...) do you suggest if I want that Moodle draws automatically curves from variables (global, local and random) ?

by Bernat Martinez -
Hello Hubert,
IMHO may be one of the best ways is using  JSXGraph. well I'm saying  this because we are working on it at ITEMS project https://itemspro.eu/  😉

JSXGraph can be embedded in a Formulas question in several ways. 
The easiest way is to display a JSXGraph construction (for example, a vector or a graph) which loads randomly parameters in coordination with the variables of the question. 

In a more advanced way JSXGraph can recognize features of drawings made by user and store user action

You could test these questions by yourself at Linear function (intro)

We are updating our work as we are preparing this for a workshop at EAMS https://eams.ncl.ac.uk/

primitive of a given function

by Hubert Ambrois -

Hello,

I would like students to be able to find a primitive F of a given function f (polynomial).

Is it possible with qtype formulas?

In other words, we must verify that the derivative of their response gives well f

Thank you in advance
Hubert AMBROIS

Re: primitive of a given function

by Dominique Bauer -
Bonjour Hubert,

It should be very easy to ask for primitives, especially for polynomial functions. Use the "Algebraic formula" answer type of the Formulas qtype.

If the derivative is axn + ... ,  the primitive is axn+1/(n+1) + ... Just define this function as the answer. You should mention that the primitive also includes a constant, but you can't ask for it in the answer since it can be anything.

Re: primitive of a given function

by Avi Nathan -

it is possible to define a variable C assigned any random number you want and have the student type in the primitive function +C