Issue Tracker for Questions

Issue Tracker for Questions

by George Schaathun -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Plugin developers

This is an idea we have been playing with for some time, and I wonder if it is only us, or an idea which would be welcomed by others: An issue tracker for quiz questions 

My context is mathematical subjects, with question types like STACK and calculated, which typically take quite a lot of trial and error to get right. This is not necessarily as relevant to other subjects.

We have implemented the first aspect of this idea in CAPQuiz already, with a comment interface, allowing the students to complain or ask about clarifications etc.  This was immensely useful for the first week of the activity, as the feedback I got was generally valuable.  However, as CAPQuiz still does not have means to sort the comments and filter out resolved ones, it is clear that further development is needed, which we are going to do.

I realise that some may argue that if I had just tested the questions thoroughly enough in the first place, there would be no need for the comment interface.  Nevertheless, I see at least two potential use cases even for those who are much more dedicated to testing than my colleagues and I.  Firstly, the issue tracker could be used in the development team.  Secondly, there will always be students who need clarifications on the solution template, and having their questions directly linked to the quiz question will make it easy to answer.

Two questions to you all,

1. Have others seen a need for such an issue tracker?

2.  Is there scope for interfacing the question bank or other quiz-like activities with such an issue tracker?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to George Schaathun

Re: Issue Tracker for Questions

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Capquiz seems a bit awesome to me. Are you aware of the quesiton behaviours that llow the students to give feedback on questions. I have developed one that extends one by Quiz Maintainer Tim Hunt. See
https://moodle.org/plugins/qbehaviour_interactiveexplain
In reply to Marcus Green

Re: Issue Tracker for Questions

by George Schaathun -
Picture of Plugin developers
Thanks for the pointer. I shall look into it.

I must admit that I never grokked the question behaviours. When I have tried to test them, they behave slightly differently in preview mode and in real quizzes, and I have not figured out what belongs to the question behaviour and what belongs to the quiz.