Elearning website like Udemy

Elearning website like Udemy

by Omar Al-Qaragolliy -
Number of replies: 8

Hi All,

I have a new project to designing a website like (Udemy),

I suggest to use Moodle as a framework to do this project. But I faced a problem with payment, I found that Moodle not provide a a payment ability to sell courses by online.

So, I had disscused with my friend and we decided to use a wordpress (woocommerce) option then we will make integration with moodle site.

Please aou advice us, can we create a strong website for elearning like (Udemy) with same all options and features by following this way of designing ??

Your reply is very greatfull to help us.

Thanks a lot

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Omar Al-Qaragolliy

Re: Elearning website like Udemy

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Omar, Udemy is not a very capable learning platform in terms of options/resources one get, so udemy is limited to videos, document download and quiz only, with that limited number of learning resources, you'll be better off setting up a word press site, which will replicate udemy fully.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
+1. Tools in Moodle are (originally) made for "deep learning", Udemy is made for MOOCs, i.e. mass learning.

You'll find a detailed discussion here Looking for advice to setup a MOOC-like platform using Moodle and further discussions linked from there.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Omar Al-Qaragolliy -
Thanks a lot, but I dose not understand what mean (MOOCs) ?? And what the diffrent between (Deep learning) and (MOOCs)??
Can you explain please??

Thanks a lot

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Massive Open Online Course MOOC, and forget Deep Learning, it is unrelated to this.

But sorry, I don't know Udemy well enough, not everybody does. If you want advice whether Moodle could do what you have in mind, you need to describe it in more detail than just "designing a website like (Udemy)".

You should also go through past discussions in the the Advocacy forum https://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=2784, or even request the moderator to move you discussion to that forum.
In reply to Usman Asar

by Omar Al-Qaragolliy -

Hi Usman,

Thanks for your advice, do you thing we can do same of Udemy by using wordpress??

I'm trying to find an appropriat way to create a strong website because this project has a lot of options and features .. for that I thought to use Moodle because it's special work with elearning and combine it with wordpress as an open source and making a good way for payments.

Any way let's to see the replys and other opinion.

Thanks a lot,

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Just to reiterate... I've never seen Udemy and nor will many others. Other than getting bombarded with annoying adverts that is. You'll get better answers if you explain what features are important to you.

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Omar, you mentioned udemy so I referred you to WordPress - there are multitude of LMS plugins that will replicate Udemy alike websites (or bit beyond).

what features are you looking into your desired LMS's, as moodle has endless possibilities, so I dont want you to use 10% of moodle's capabilities, as moodle is not the light application to use, its resource heavy application and you may need to upgrade even before you know it. Although you can integrate woocommerce and many wordpress plug-ins using bridge, but then you'll be installing two scripts on server (wordpress and moodle) where your requirements may be met by wordpress only.