Jump from Lesson to Quiz

Jump from Lesson to Quiz

by Katie Campbell -
Number of replies: 3

Hi, Moodle newbie here! Is there a way to add content at the end of my lesson to jump to the quiz under the same topic?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Katie Campbell

Re: Jump from Lesson to Quiz

by Al Henneberger -
The answer is most definitely. Nearly all lessons I create have a quiz at the end. The way I do it is a multistep process.  Is the below the easiest or best way, probably not, but it works for us.
First, I add an End of Lesson page. I will add some content to this page.  It is important to use the End of Lesson page instead of a new content page.
Next, I add content to the page. See my example below.  You can say whatever you want.

Now we need to get the URL of the quiz.  To do that, open a new instance of Moodle in a new tab in your browser, you may get a popup asking if you want to Logout or Cancel (at least in Chrome).  Click Cancel.  Go to your lesson and click on the quiz--DO NOT ATTEMPT THE QUIZ.  Copy the URL from the browser address bar, your URL should be similar to the image below.

You can now close that tab or leave it open.  I sometimes have upwards of half a dozen Moodle tabs open at one time to various lessons, pages, admin functions, or whatever.
Go back to the Lesson page you were working on.  Highlight the text you want to associate to the quiz (in the above case it is Please click here to complete the course Quiz).  Click on the link button in the editor.

Now paste the URL you copied previously into the Link's popup.

I usually leave the Open in new window unchecked.  Now Save it and test it.
Since we also allow open book exams, on this same page I usually make reference to that and also provide a link to appropriate pdf the same way we made the link to the quiz, though in this case, I do check the Open in new window so they can refer to the pdf and the quiz at the same time either in different windows or tabs.
For us, quizzes usually are set up for restricted access.  Meaning, the student must complete one or more Activities before the quiz is enabled.  The above assumes the Lesson is the last requirement before the student is allowed to take the quiz.  The advantage of using the End of Lesson page is that when leaving that page, it automatically set the status of that lesson as complete, thus meeting the requirements for the student to start the quiz.  Lesson Completion status must be enabled for the actions in this paragraph.  If you do not have that option, your Administrator must turn it on.
You can also use the same idea to lead the student from one lesson to another in the order you desire.  You could even lead the student to an entirely different course, though, you do need to ensure the student is enrolled in that referenced course, too.
I hope this answers your question adequately.
In reply to Al Henneberger

by Katie Campbell -
Thank you! How/where do I add an End of Lesson page though? I don't see that as an option.
In reply to Katie Campbell

by Al Henneberger -
Well, that depends upon which version of Moodle you have and how your Administrator set things up. Having said that, I am going to make several assumptions here.
  1. You are a Teacher or above in the course
  2. You know how to create a lesson
  3. You know how to create a new content page in the lesson
  4. Your Administrator has left lesson management pretty much at default settings

I know it probably seems insulting to make these assumptions, but I have a method to my madness.  First, you may not be the only one to read this post so other new lesson creators know what they need.  Both the second and third assumption are there because different versions of Moodle have different ways of showing each.  On top of that Administrators can pretty much make things look anyway they want.  Though, creating a new page is fairly consistent (assumption 4).

Now back to the program.

Fill in your content in the Page contents block.

Below that are Content dropdowns.

This is where you set the link on your page to allow the students to progress forwards or backwards through the lesson.  One of the options is End of lesson.  I very rarely use more than Content 1 and 2 as Previous and Next or End of lesson.

I highly suggest, unless you are making a one path (no branches) lessons, you map it out first.  These things can get really complex very quickly.  If you are familiar with making lessons in PowerPoint, Impress, or GoogleSlides you can do much much more in Moodle lessons.  Though, you may need to learn HTML and JavaScript.