On Moodle 3.8, Rate (scale 1..5) question answers get wiped if not all are completed?

On Moodle 3.8, Rate (scale 1..5) question answers get wiped if not all are completed?

by Mathew Gancarz -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Core developers

Hello, I am not sure if this is caused by a change in Moodle or in the version of Questionnaire used but we're deploying a new Moodle site and noticed that on the new one, the partially filled out answers to a rate scale question that is required are wiped if the person tries to move forward. See pictures below, on Moodle 3.8.3+ (Build 20200515), with Questionnaire 3.8.2 (Build - 2020052100).

On our existing Moodle 3.5.9+ (Build 20191122), with Questionnaire 3.5.4 (Build - 2019032100) the answers are NOT all reset. It preserves whatever the person had entered and only highlights the missing ones. See the last picture.

In the below example, the person has filled out some, but not all the questions:

before clicking next

When they click next or submit, it wipes their partially filled out answers, resetting it all to not answered:

After clicking next

On Moodle 3.5, instead it preserves the answers:

Answers preserved

I've examined the Questionnaire settings and they all look identical, so I am not sure what is causing the difference. Is it intended behaviour in the new version or a bug or something else I missed?

Average of ratings: -