BigBlueButton Stats/reports

BigBlueButton Stats/reports

by James Hartley -
Number of replies: 15

Good afternoon all,

Long time lurker, first time poster, although my colleague does most of the posting for Moodle development.

We are looking to integrate BBB with Moodle, and have the plug in and everything installed and working, but we were wondering if anyone had any way to report on the meetings, ie so we can see what student attended, duration, joins, leaves that kind of thing?

We aren't sure if this is a Moodle question or a BBB one, as we don't know if the students attending a BBB meeting are even shown in the BBB stats.

Any insight into this would be amazing!

Thanks

James

Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Hartley

Re: BigBlueButton Stats/reports

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi

BBB is an activity in Moodle like any other. So in the logs for the user you'll find the events "Meeting joined" and "Meeting left". If you need it all in a central attendance register, you might want to consider the https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_attendance plug-in.

I'm not a heavy user of BBB, so don't know the details. You might want to request the moderator to move this discussion to the Web conferencing plugins forum.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I've just moved this thread to the Web conferencing plugins forum as suggested by Visvanath.

by Jesus Federico -
Picture of Plugin developers
Hi James,

I know my answer is coming a little overdue here, but in case the question is still on the air.

As it has been mentioned before, the Plugin captures all the activity that happens in Moodle. Users viewing the room/activity, joining the session, doing click on the recording, etc. Those events are logged as any other plugin in Moodle, which means any plugin or report you already use can give you that information.

Now, in regards to what happens in the live session, that is a different history, because that information is recorded by BigBlueButton itself and right now there is no way to pass it back to Moodle.

There is a commercial solution out there that gives you a report with the activity in the session. It is called statistics and it is presented to the Teachers and Administrators as a recording format in the same way the Playback format is presented. But again that is only available if the BBB server offers that format. As far as I know, the only ones providing that format right now are the Blindside Networks folks.

As for the BigBlueButtonBN plugin, we have in development for version 2.4 (it is actually implemented already, but the version has not been released), a way to receive information from BBB for registering Completion based on rules like minutes the user spend in the session, activity in the chat, polls, raise hand etc. Again, the BBB server must have that capability enabled. But the good new here is that BBB 2.3 will have the capability enabled by default, and BBB 2.2 can be patched by the system administrator so the capability is enabled. All open source.

When is that going to happen?, I honestly don't know. But we hope that at some point during the Fall 2020.

I hope this helps,

JF
Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Jesus Federico

by Carlos Arranz de Castro -

Hi, Federico. We've this same issue, and we've worked in a self-made solution for monitoring attendats activity and insert it in Moodle logs with a very close format than BigBlueButton does with login/logout.

Nowadays, we've tried to contact with Blindside Networks for hosting, since we're using another provider and we've sincerely interested in contract BlindSideNetworks hosting, but we havent answer of Blindside Networks, and we've tried using their contact formand email.

Do you know if they're having some tipe of issue, or if they only attends to big customers (we are a little online teaching company from Spain, with aproximately max. of 50 concurrent users for video meetings)?

Thank you.

In reply to Carlos Arranz de Castro

by Joanne Johnson -

Hi Carlos,

BlindSideNetworks definitely caters to small customers.  I will only have 1 concurrent user and they have given me a quote for it.  

Try contacting kira.strazhnik@blindsidenetworks.com

Cheers.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

Ri: Re: BigBlueButton Stats/reports

by Nicola Celiberti -

Hi Federico,

the patch already exists?

thx

Nicola 

In reply to Nicola Celiberti

Re: Ri: Re: BigBlueButton Stats/reports

by Jesus Federico -
Hi Nicola,

The patch indeed exists. The feature may not be very stable though.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by James Hartley -

Hi Jesus,

Thanks for this, do you know when 2.4 is going to be available? or is it still the beta v2.4-b1 only?

Thanks

James

by Jesus Federico -
If you can tell what is missing it can be tagged as rc like right now smile

There is not a date for release really. It is like the egg and the chicken type of game. People don't want to use it as beta, therefore, no one is trying it out and reporting bugs if any. As no one reports anything, we can not tag it as release.

Have you try it?

The only thing I can tell is that there are a quite a few sites already running it in production.

JF

by James Hartley -
Good morning Jesus,

We have the beta installed on our test moodle, and have installed the script and bbbevents on the BBB server. Could you let me know which log in moodle the engagement is sent to?

Thanks
James

by V B -

It is not working for me. I have Moodle 3.11 and BBB 2.3.18
Any hint on how to debug this?

Cloud be BBB parameter bigbluebutton.web.serverURL to be configured in some way? Maybe pointing to the Moodle URL instead of IP? 

by James Hartley -
Hi Jesus,

So this contrib will feed back more information into moodle using the script post_events_analytics_callback.rb?

I assume this will not fire until the new version of the BBBBN module is released, as I have installed it in our BBB 2.2 setup, but can't see it ever being used, no log file etc, we are still on the released version of the BBBBM module?

Will the collected info be injected into the moodle log for general use? What events will it bring in from BBB?

Many thanks

James

by Ali Alhaidary -
Now available in BBB 2.4
In reply to Ali Alhaidary

by Claudio Curci -
Hi Ali, in this version 2.4, can the teacher see the total time spent by each student in the meeting?