Best infraestructure for 40.000 students

Best infraestructure for 40.000 students

by Juan Fortuna -
Number of replies: 1

Hello, I'm from Uruguay and I'm looking to create a course for 40.000 students in my Moodle 3.6.2+ (Build: 20190215). I want to know what I have to do for a good performance of the server? Do I need to install more servers? 

How can I have a rule like x students per server? 

Thank you very much for the help and sorry for my english, I'm not a native speaker. 

Juan

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Juan Fortuna

Re: Best infraestructure for 40.000 students

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Please start with providing more information/clarification ... devils are in the details.

Does "a course for 40.000 students" mean a single course or multiple courses but for 40000 users?

From where did you get/arrive at that number of 40000?

How is your server hosted right now?

What are the specs of the server you have right now?   memory/hard drive space/CPU's, etc. and more info ... how many users do you currently have?  What's daily hit rate?   I take it courses are offered such that users are using your server asynchronously ... as opposed to synchronously (teachers face to face with students and using moodle at the same time).

By asking the question you have so far ... ".... can I have a rule like x students per server." ... the answer is 'yes', load balanced front ends but equal to that and perhaps more important is DB for your current moodle as how well it's performing right now.

Am only beginning the discussion.    Am certain others will ask questions and might point to other links than the one provided below:

https://docs.moodle.org/38/en/Performance_recommendations

And in addition, am almost 100% certain there will be a recommendation to upgrade Moodle to at least the next Long Term Support version ... which is 3.9 - not yet released.

Let the discussion/cussion advice flow! smile

'SoS', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)