Help with Word-select.

Re: Help with Word-select.

by Marcus Green -
Number of replies: 10
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I was working updating the example audio question that ships with the question type. I used the editor audio button to create the audio and it appeared to work nicely. However it wouldn't play in Mac OSX.

The rtc recorder button seems to save in Ogg format. Does anyone know if this is a general problem with OSX. It works fine with mp3 files.  Also is it possible to switch the default recording format to MP3 which has wider support than Ogg? I cannot see a way of doing it.
Word Select Question using two audio examples

Ahh, The awesome Justin Hunt  may have provided an answer

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Marcus Green

by henny jellema -
Dag Marcus,
Where are my courses? (screenshot)
I don't think they disappeared, but normally it is the first thing what I see as soon as I start the thing.
I can find them via site adminstration or so. Since you add that demonstration course, I only see "My courses". That's not what I prefer.
Is there a way to get back to all the courses?
Mvg, Henny
Attachment waarzijndecursussen.jpg
In reply to henny jellema

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
This is a navigation issue, not a quiz issue. Check under Site Admin/Appearance/Navigation or add a Courses block.
In reply to Emma Richardson

by henny jellema -
Back to the quiz issue then.
How I'm I going to solve the problem with the sound in word-select?
Marcus, you really try to help me, I'm sure of that. But it seems that it is still not possible to put more then let we say 8, soundfiles in one text and having the word-select working properly.
Or did I miss a message?
Mvg, Henny

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I am not sure what question you are asking. I have just looked at the quiz on your site
that I set up and it shows a Wordselect question with two items of audio that play back. Until I release a new version of the question type the solution to having more than one item of audio is to turn off the multimedia filter on the course.
In reply to Marcus Green

by henny jellema -
Dag Marcus,
It works PERFECT!! Thank you so very much.
You deserve tulips from A'dam!
Hgv, Henny

by Marcus Green -
Delighted to hear it. I will settle for a photo of a nice Tulip, or indeed anything nice from the Netherlands.
In reply to Marcus Green

by henny jellema -
Dag Marcus,
I'm still very happy with word-select and (if you have the time) you can see that I did put my whole steensoep-story very succesfully in the Moodle.
But (some) of my students do complain that they don't know how many words they have to go for. They say, we have no idea when we have them all or have many wrong ones, before we click on finished. I did the settings so that they have more attempts. And in the instructions, I write manually how many words they have to seek. That helps.
They ask why they cannot have it with what they call "the other system"
https://static.digischool.nl/oefenen/hennyjellema/luisteren/steensoep/kortezinnen/lezen-01.htm
I tell them not to behave as spoiled brats, and that we need the results to be saved.
That does it more or less.
So the matter is certainly not urgent, but if there is a moment that you have nothing else to do (smile!!) and start thinking about making word-select more perfect.... well think of this message.
Ok?
Hgv, Henny

by Marcus Green -
That is a rather good idea. It is not something will be doing in the near future as I am caught up with some Gapfill work, and my day job. I will ask the UK Open University people what they think of the concept as they also use it.

I have created a github issue for it..
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Marcus Green

by henny jellema -
What actually is github? I have seen it more coming along .....
Hgv,Henny

by Marcus Green -
That is a good question because although most people won't get their code from Github, looking at repositories can give some useful information such as how recently it has been worked on.

Its where developers store their code. It allows them to keep control of different versions and create branches for developing stuff. The issues links can be useful to see if other people are experiencing problems that you are having and sometimes (like in the example I gave), if developers are planning things.