What is best/easiest ecommerce integration?

What is best/easiest ecommerce integration?

by Karen Whittingham -
Number of replies: 24

Hi All

I am a coach and want to sell my course online - i have a website and have installed moodle 3.83. I also have a Wordpress site - 

I would like to be able to have people pay for a course and enrol anytime - I am not expecting the course to be wildly popular so the $300 per year fees and $30 per month transaction fees look steep at this point - especially when starting out.

What do people recommend? Also is there a hosting for this where I can host my course and have the hosting platform take the $ and manage enrolments? (like Eventbrite for live events) 

thanks

Karen

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Karen Whittingham

Re: What is best/easiest ecommerce integration?

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Where did the $300 per year fees and $30 per month transaction fees come from?

Moodie has PayPal integration built in, so you can sell access to a course. You’d really only need merchant software if you want more complicated commercial stuff - subscriptions, group purchase, etc. But for basic e-commerce, PayPal enrolment works well.

See https://docs.moodle.org/38/en/PayPal_enrolment

There also an availability plugin for PayPal too - so you can have a free course but certain activities can be restricted until payment is made. See https://moodle.org/plugins/availability_paypal

Both work well and I use them in many production sites.

On your Wordpress site, you’d just link to the course on the Moodle site.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
In addition to Jon's reply which should be all you need, there is also the Edwiser plugins which allow you to use Woocommerce on Wordpress to sell courses. However, if you are just selling a single course, then use the built in Paypal which will only cost a small percentage of sales for credit card processing which you will have to pay someone.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Andrew Hancox -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
I’ve just launched a public demo of my Moodle based e-commerce platform:
https://examplesite.opensourcelearning.co.uk/local/commerce/browseproducts.php
The test credit card details are:
Card number: 4242 4242 4242 4242
All other fields you can set to anything and it should work.
There are a bunch of products on the site showing all the capabilities:
quiz attempts
seminar registration (with spaces held during transactions and released on time out etc.)
course enrolments
premium topic/activity access
Buying vouchers for team members to redeem (click buy for others on the catalog page, then look in ‘vouchers’ for the codes to share with your team)
The only one not set up is the whole site subscription as this would get in the way of people meeting the platform.
I’m hoping you can see how this goes a long way beyond any other LMS integrated commerce platform (certainly any that I’ve seen to date).
I’ve got clients using various bits of this but it’s the first time I’ve brought it together as a coherent product so I’m really keen to get feedback from as many people as possible.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Andrew Hancox

by Peter Schmitz -
Hi Andrew,
I checked it out. This looks promising. What about payment gateways and how about facilitating corporate payment structures, i.o.w. payment is outside moodle and then people get some sort of access pass, voucher etc. Then if I need to grant access to 500 employees, do I need to issue, manage and handle 500 different coupons? The below is not strictly a realistic option for corporate buyers?

In reply to Peter Schmitz

by Andrew Hancox -
If you buy on behalf of 500 staff then you will end up with a URL that can be used by 500 people to create an account on the site which will receive the benefits of the product. It's very, very simple to manage. You can also create these vouchers/URLs manually as part of an off-line payment process.
Does that makes sense?

If you would be interested in a demo then get in touch and I can spend 10 minutes talking you through it.

by Peter Schmitz -
Yes, maybe best to take this offline. We were looking at Arlo but don't like their 'pay per registration' business model. Can I reach you through pm here?

by Deds Castillo -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Andrew,

I'm very much interested in this as I have a need for this right now.  Is the code available to share?  It may not be an exact fit to what I need but bits and pieces of it might be useful as per our requirements.

In reply to Deds Castillo

by Andrew Hancox -

The platform is only available on a commercial basis right now, if you get in touch I'm happy to discus?

by Deds Castillo -
Thank you for the offer, Andrew. As I mentioned, it's not an exact fit but some elements has the potential for reuse. We have much done already in adding support for a local gateway so we've decided to just complete the integration using in-house code.

by Michael Milette -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
How do you currently take payments for your coaching?

The Paypal plugin included with Moodle is a good start but it will only get you so far. Edwiser + Wordpress/WooCommerce will give you lots of flexibility but is not trivial to setup and manage.

I recently listed some other options at https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=421125#p1697284

There are other options if you are willing to pay someone to:
  • host your Moodle course and process payments but I suspect you will need to build up some volume before it can start to be financially sustainable.
  • simply hire a consultant to set it up for you on Moodle. In the long run, I think this could be a good option as you pay once to get it setup and then just use it with only the applicable service fees.
Depending on your content and how you want your course to work, there are non-Moodle hosted options available like Udemy and LinkedIn Learning (there are many others). They won't be as flexible or as powerful as Moodle but may still be suitable depending on your requirements. I sometimes recommend these to people just starting out. The down side is that you will be locked into the proprietary platform, won't have as much control over branding, may not be able to have interactive components, and will need to recreate your course if you ever decide to change service provider.

To have someone else manage something for you, you will need to pay them to do work for you.

Best regards,

Michael

by Saurav Pathak -

You can use Bagisto; the laravel e-commerce platform for that. Since you are looking to sell courses on a subscription basis, you can the subscription module of bagisto for the same: https://bagisto.com/en/extensions/laravel-ecommerce-recurring-payments-subscription/

In reply to Saurav Pathak

by Jessica Wade -

I would suggest that you do this with an IMS (subscriptionflow's inventory management system) / OMS such as Linnworks because you will then be able to use "any" eCommerce platform, feed orders from BigCommerce, Shopify and/or Magento (the eCommerce platform) into Linnworks, automatically shooting the order over to FBA. You can also complete the order for Amazon, eBay and load other markets with Linnworks and FBA.

by Sarang Nair -
Hi Karen Whittingham

You can integrate your WordPress site with your Moodle site to sell your Moodle courses from the WordPress site. The course front(Course-storefront) will be available on WordPress and Moodle will host your courses. WordPress can be used to market your courses through various marketing channels. 

Also, you can sell the courses through full-fledged e-commerce software - WooCommerce. It also, allows you to use a WooCommerce subscription with which you can charge monthly or yearly subscription fees for the courses. 

Edwiser Bridge PRO will help you sell your Moodle courses through WooCommerce and will also help your students have a seamless experience between WordPress and Moodle through Single Sign-On.

I hope this helps smile
In reply to Sarang Nair

by tim st.clair -
Can reccomend Edwiser as well - worth the purchase. If you are looking for something free that lets you have Wordpress as your front end where purchase take place, then my https://github.com/frumbert/wp2moodle plugin could work for you.

by Shivbhadrasinh Gohil -

Hello Karen,

I would like to suggest check-out Stipe Plugin for WordPress for your requirement here https://stripe.com/docs/plugins/wordpress

It will provide feature to build your custom payment page and link to your courses, Students can easily enrol and make the payment on custom page. 

Hope it will help you out! 

Also check - Partial Payment for Magento 2

Thanks,

Shivbhadrasinh Gohil 

by florence labord -
The best is maybe to use a full shop plugin set dédicated to Moodle, without third party solution :

The shop set developped à few years ago, and used on Moodle. But not available on Moodle.org , but on
Valéry Frémaux Github. He is known as one of the best Moodle developer causer he is mastering the full Moodle architecture.

About WooCommerce and Wordpress : it means to use two other third party application.
And to communicate about your offer twice : in moodle and in Woo commerce.
As soon as you change here, you have to change there.

In reply to florence labord

by Peter Schmitz -
This looks great and I am really interested, but it seems like the last dev on this was 2018 and it is distributed through a French company where all the info is in French only. Are you in contact with someone who is still actively driving this plugin?

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

What are you referring to that was last developed in 2018?. I know nothing of the plugin but I know Valery is a highly rated long term Moodle developer. However the links to the english version of the web site don't seem to work. One day Moodle will have the ability to tag a person in for these purposes....

In reply to Marcus Green

by Peter Schmitz -
I got this wrong it appears, It's the distributor's website that has a 2018 (c) . It just seems like there isn't a massive push as such to market this plugin to English speaking clients. Maybe I am getting this wrong and if so I'll probably find out.

by florence labord -
I am sorry but we are not allowed by Moodle org rules to promote ours plugins directly here, because we are NOT moodle partner but a very little compagny (2 people) .
but here is documentation about shop set plugins 

In reply to florence labord

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello Florence - according to the Site policy it is OK to mention products when replying to a forum post, if they are relevant and in context.

Mentioning commercial products and services in discussions is OK

All participants are welcome to write about and link to commercial products or services (Moodle-related or not, yours or otherwise) if it's in the natural context of a discussion such as an answer to a question. This is not seen as advertising.

Unsolicited advertisements / spam will be deleted

No-one should post unsolicited and blatant advertisements for products and services with no appropriate context

In reply to Marcus Green

by florence labord -
Let s try to explain :
We developed more than 200 plugins includind MOODLE shop but after a few years we were in situation a lot of people were using plugin, but we had no way of having a retribution or payment for all the job done. Because we we're not in a university , but self employed . So we decided tu create à little compagny

So the situation is: all the plugins including SHOP are fully maintained and updated, with complete documentation, but the acurate versions are are in a private git next to the public one in a more complete and tested version
When a customer wants assistance with installation and settings, we sell that service and provide the plugins in pro and target version, and we help
Average of ratings: Useful (1)