workshop with groups

workshop with groups

by Eric Lin -
Number of replies: 2

Can you do workshops such that assignments that are turned in are turned in by group, but that the grading is done by individuals? So you get a grade on the end product that is common among all group members (and a single group member needs to turn it in on behalf of all group members), yet it is assigned out for peer grading to all students where the grading is done by an individual? So the student gets a group grade on the deliverable, but an individual grade (weighted average of all graders) on the grading part?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Eric Lin

Re: workshop with groups

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Not yet - MDL-35594

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to David Mudrák

Re: workshop with groups

by James Ramey -

This is my first posting in a Moodle Forum. I love Workshop and am using it a lot, but it does need better group functionality. I see that this has been under discussion since at least 2012. I have found an imperfect but useful workaround, which is to combine a Group Assignment with Workshop, wherein the group secretary submits the written assignment in both elements, one after the other, with the grade given to the group's submission by Workshop participants being manually input by the teacher into the Group Assignment for grading all members of each group. The Workshop submission's grade is left uncategorized, but the peer-assessment grade is categorized and appears in the gradebook. This facilitates giving a grade to each member of the group for their joint assignment, while allowing the members of other groups to grade the joint assignments (taking that option in the Workbook allocation setting). However, it would be much better for Workshop to include this functionality natively.

We found a plug-in whose description appears to provide precisely the kind of group functionality we are looking for, but we don´t know if it will be supported in Spanish or work on our university system without a hitch. We are looking into it, but I wonder whether there might be any advice about it. 

Congratulations in general on this fine piece of educational technology. It has helped us enormously during the pandemic and we will continue to benefit from it long afterwards.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)