Best way to embed videos in courses and preventing download

Best way to embed videos in courses and preventing download

by umberto de domenico -
Number of replies: 7

Hello, 

I am trying to figure out which may be the best way to embeed a video and make sure users cannot download or, at least, making their life harder should they want to do so....

Strangely enough i have not been able to find  documentation in google to this regards... 

Thanks in advance to thouse who will find the time to answer me.

Umberto

Average of ratings: -
In reply to umberto de domenico

Re: Best way to embed videos in courses and preventing download

by Gemma Lesterhuis -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I use h5p smile
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Gemma Lesterhuis

by umberto de domenico -
ah! interesting. Thanks Gemma. would you have a link which talks about it more precisely? the links I have seen talk about creating quizes and similar, but I have not been able yet to find a page explaining how to embeed a video with the H5p....

Thanks!
Umberto

by Gemma Lesterhuis -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I use either Course Presentation or the interactive video content types to do this.
For embedding in H5P you need the URL to the video.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gemma Lesterhuis

by umberto de domenico -
OK, so do you previously load your video in the DATA Moodle directory?
I am asking that because I have tried google drive links or recorded Zoom Sessions and it does not accept them (possibily because it is not a full url terminating with .mp4)....

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
There have been many posts in Moodle.org about your request. You can only make it harder for students to download (copy) your videos, but not prevent it.

Try downloading this video of mine (which is another way to provide a video.)

Discrete Probability Distributions

Now, don't use your smartphone to copy it, and don't use any screen recording software either.  There you have it, you can't download it!
In reply to Rick Jerz

by umberto de domenico -
Thanks Ricky, yes, I see what you mean. actually I was testing with Vimeo and it seems a lot harder for the students to access any link for sharing or even downloading.... but then you need to get into Vimeo and purchase their solution.... On the other hand I do not see a better solution so far.

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Yes, umberto. As you see, Vimeo can make it harder. You can configure a video to not show any "download" button, which does two things: 1) It makes it harder for anyone to download your video, and 2) You can please administrators who do not want to allow students to download videos.

But the bottom line is that a smart student who wants to watch your video offline, they can use screen recording software or even their smartphone to copy the video. (Sometimes students can be smarter than administrators! 😀)

Yes, you are correct.  There is a cost to Vimeo.  But perhaps you can have the person who doesn't want to allow download pay for the Vimeo subscription?  Well, another trade-off decision to be made.  🙁