Fine tuning messaging settings

by Kristof Verbaeten -
Number of replies: 2

Hi

We are hosting a Moodle platform, version 3.6.2+ (build 20190215).

My question is concerning message settings, I found this documentation but wonder if I can enhance the settings in any way. If possible with native settings, otherwise through a plugin or something else.

Our context is a teacher can go in the courses of his collegue teachers (not every other teacher,  only teachers within the same field). This is done so they can look at each others courses, learn form them and that sort of thing. We made a custom role for this.

Now, if a teacher sends a forum message or requires to recieve a message on submission of a taks, all teachers (in the same field) recieve this message in their inbox. And the teachers then often contact us, asking why they recieve this message.

As stated I know about the linked documentation, and this can be used efficiently as long as that teacher does not want any messages at all. However I cannot find a way to only allow message of the course where they are the main teacher. The difference on course level is the role they are assigned.

So does anybody know how we could set this up?

Kind regards

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kristof Verbaeten

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Hi Kristof -- are the 'colleagues' in a site-wide role, or are they just in the teacher role? I wonder if another role is allowing all teachers to receive these forum messages, even in courses they are not enrolled as 'teachers' in.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to John Provasnik

Re: Fine tuning messaging settings

by Kristof Verbaeten -
Hi

We created 2 custom site-wide roles at this path: Site administration > Users > Permissions > Define roles
There is a big list which appears to contain some notification settings (searched the web page). I set these to "prevent".

Not sure if this is enough but thanks for pushing me in the right direction. We'll hear what happens now.

I'll post back here if this is not the solution.

Kristof