Student cheat the time of the quiz

Student cheat the time of the quiz

by mohammadjavad kolahdooz esfahani -
Number of replies: 12

I Created Quiz and I limit the time between 9:00 to 9:30. After the quiz finished, I noticed some of the students were more than the specified time in the quiz. they were about five minutes more than the assigned time. 

I am wondering if anyone experiences the same issue and how we can prevent it.

Attachment overtime.JPG
Attachment time setup.JPG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to mohammadjavad kolahdooz esfahani

Re: Student cheat the time of the quiz

by Beta G -
How many students you had during exam ? Perhaps your server was slow under big load and it closed slower the students so you see now more time there ?
In reply to Beta G

I have 50 students in this exam but we are sure it has nothing to do with the server because we had an exam with 200 students and we don’t have this problem. 

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Or the students left before the end of the exam, and the attempts were closed a bit later when cron next ran. That is, you could be seeing the effects of issue MDL-54907.
In reply to Tim Hunt

Thanks for your reply but I think there is another scenario here.
we recently found out how they’ve done it. I upload a video here you can see the exact way how they did it. The language of this video is not English but you can follow the system clock and quiz time. when a student changes their system clock they can add time to the exam and all of their answers even after exam original time are accepted by moodle. I think It may be a bug...

https://www.aparat.com/v/ZLAkU

by Beta G -
Its not possible quiz time is from back end - server side so they can't change there - its more as Tim said the forgot to click submit and perhaps your cron job runs every 5 minutes because its cron job who finishes many tasks in Moodle in my case I have it running every 1 minute.
In reply to Beta G

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Have you tested this situation? Create bogus student, create a quiz or allow this student to take the quiz (via override), log in as this student, and try a few things. Do this under the various possible scenarios.

(Your video link doesn't work for me.)
In reply to Rick Jerz

Yes, we have tested different scenarios and We believe this video is our answer. (I uploaded the video in youtube for you, in this video as you see in 00:50 when he changes the system clock, the quiz time will change after a few seconds)

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Changing the local system clock does not affect what happens on the server. It is the equivalent of changing the time on your watch.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Marcus Green

I thought what you mentioned is true but we have tested  this one and all the answers after the original server time were submitted and accepted by moodle.

The only solution we have found yet is to design quiz in multiple pages when they go to next question the server updates the quiz time based on server time.

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
I tried to replicate the problem, mohammadjavad, and had some "apparent" success. But in the end, Moodle was working correctly. Here is what I did.

I created a 10-minute timed quiz, with open attempts automatically closed. Then, I logged into a Windows 10 PC (like you), as a student, and began taking the quiz. The timer counted down. Then, I changed the time of the local computer clock. At first, the Moodle timer did show more time, but then would readjust back to the correct time. I did this about five times, and each time the same thing happened, meaning that the Moodle clock showed more time, but then after about 20 seconds, went back to the correct time. The 10-minutes expired. And here is the important thing... as the student and after the 10-minutes, I entered an answer into an essay question that was showing. Immediately Moodle closed the quiz. I check the attempt, and the quiz showed 10:28, meaning 28 more seconds. However, the quiz did not show the student's answer that was typed after 10 minutes! So, Moodle did the right thing. It did not allow any answers after 10 minutes. However, you were also correct, that adjusting the computer clock will appear (temporarily) to indicate more time, but then it fixes itself.

My guess is that this quiz time would be 10 minutes plus the amount of time when cron runs again.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Reza Bolghanabadi -

Hi
Thanks for the tips from all the friends
I guess our problem is the wrong setting of "Cron"!

In reply to Reza Bolghanabadi

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Also note that someone was working on MDL-58926 recently, and this will make this better. (Oops! looks like they asked me a qusetion and I have not responded yet.)
Average of ratings: Useful (1)