can I work without opcache caching?

can I work without opcache caching?

by Ram Freedman -
Number of replies: 2

Hi,

I'm trying to install moodle - and I get this error:

php_settingopcache.enable

PHP opcode caching improves performance and lowers memory requirements, OPcache extension is recommended and fully supported.

I understand that  this is an option to have - and not something that it's a must - but it's very important feature to add - right?

Sadly on my server (shared hosting) I have another system that I'm using that the presence of the opcache has been known to cause unexpected behavior with  and therefore it's recommend to disable it.

So:
1. Is there a way to use the opcache caching only for moodle without any effect on other systems I use on the server? 

2. Do you think that I can use moodle without using opcache caching? or will the effect will be serious and will cause my moodle to work very poorly?

Thanks!

Ram

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ram Freedman

Re: can I work without opcache caching?

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
You'll be fine. In my experience OpCache mostly reduces the load on the server. There isn't a massive difference in Moodle performance. Not that your users would see.

Clearly, it's a better idea if it was enabled. But...
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: can I work without opcache caching?

by Ram Freedman -
Thanks.
As soon as I will able to solve the problem with my DB I will try to install without opcache caching and hopefully it will work without any effect on the users  as you suggested. 
Regards,
Ram