Quiz: number of max concurrent simultaneous users

Quiz: number of max concurrent simultaneous users

by Antonello Pau -
Number of replies: 4

Hi,
are there estimates to know the hardware requirements and software configurations to calculate number of max concurrent simultaneous users taking the same quiz?

Examples number of user:
500 users
1000 users
2000 users
5000 users

Examples hardware:
RAM 16GB webserver + 16GB database server

Examples software:
Php 7.2, Mysql 5.6, Moodle 3.7

Thanks,
Antonello

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Antonello Pau

Re: Quiz: number of max concurrent simultaneous users

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
So the responses don't tell you what you already know, what have your web searches found so far?
In reply to Marcus Green

Ri: Re: Quiz: number of max concurrent simultaneous users

by Antonello Pau -
Thanks for answer.
I have not found definitive answers. I asked if there was already a case addressed and solved, even as a simple study that estimates this value even approximately.
In reply to Antonello Pau

Re: Quiz: number of max concurrent simultaneous users

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
No. Really, you need to be able to do a load-test of whatever level of use you plan to do. It is possible to get JMeter to simulate students attempting a quiz. They key moments to focus on are when a lot of students start the quiz in quick succession, and when they all submit at the end - and anything you can do to spread those peaks out in time are strongly recommended.

Once you are able to test, then you can experiment with what you need. In addtion to what you mention, you also need to think about caching and file storage. My gut feeling is that to get good performance, you will need more RAM than that, particularly on the DB. Basically, you want to be able to have the whole database cached in RAM.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)