No Editing Tool Bar for a Text Resource

No Editing Tool Bar for a Text Resource

by Paul Pennington -
Number of replies: 3

When I try create a new Text resource, the Summary section has all of the editing toolbar, but the Full-text section has nothing. I have no editing tools for the actual text box at all. Any suggestions?

We are running Moodle 1.5.3 stable build.

All editing tools are enabled, since they show up in every other module.

Javascript is not the problem as the toolbars are all present and functional everywhere else.

I'm using IE6 SP2, but same problem with Firefox.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Pennington

Re: No Editing Tool Bar for a Text Resource

by Art Lader -
Hi, Paul,

If you are trying to create a text resource, there won't be an editing bar in any browser. It WILL be there for the web page resource, though. That's just how the text resource is built.

If you'd like, you can use some basic HTML tags to do a little formatting, but that's about it.

Hope that helps,
Art
In reply to Art Lader

No Editing Tool Bar for a Text Resource, BUT WHY??

by Jan Dierckx -

Personally I have always wondered why this is. In all other cases, Moodle behaves like this:

• Display the HTML editor unless the user prefers to have a normal textarea. (A setting in your user profile)

• Display a dropdown box with different formatting choices (markdown, html format, etc...) if there is just a textarea.

Why a user has to choose upfront if he/she is going to use the HTML editor when adding a resource?

Personally I like the way you can select a text resource and then just use markdown syntax to quickly write a note, but I think it may be confusing to other users to have to choose between a textpage or a webpage (both of which allow links and formatting to be added) and it is not consistent with the rest of Moodle.

There must be some other reason?

In reply to Art Lader

Re: No Editing Tool Bar for a Text Resource

by Paul Pennington -

Art,

Thanks. What I do not understand is why the Summary box has the editing tools (when it is only one line of text information), but the actual text box allows no editing. That does not make sense to me. Having the ability to use the editing tool bars for a text box would be helpful. It isn't even possible to do HTML coding in the box.

Paul