Automated Activity Completion for a Label

Automated Activity Completion for a Label

by Ismail Fayed -
Number of replies: 4

Hello,

I have a course with a series of Topics.  In each Topic is a Label with a thumbnail image.  When the user clicks on the label, an HTML pops up.

I am trying to add automated activity completion to these labels.

I have enabled Completion Tracking site wide.  At the Course level I have enabled Completion Tracking.

And yet, in the Label settings, the only Completion Tracking options I get are “Do not indicate activity completion” and “Students can manually mark the activity as complete”.

It appears a Label is about the only resource that doesn't support Conditional Completion Tracking.  And a label is the only resource that can display my content in my course page from which I can launch a popup resource. 

Is there any way to get the Automated Activity Completion in a label?  Or is there another way to add Automated Activity Completion to a course section once students access its listed labels?

Thanks

Ismail

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ismail Fayed

Re: Automated Activity Completion for a Label

by Shirley Gregorczyk -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
You will need to change the Activity type to allow to auto-completion. File or URL (if image is in an repository) maybe a better choice for your thumbnail images.
Kind Regards
In reply to Shirley Gregorczyk

by Ismail Fayed -
Hi Shirley,

Thanks for your advice. The URL has the auto-completion. However, I hope Moodle will add it to the labels and all other resources too.

Kind regards,
Ismail
In reply to Ismail Fayed

by Darren Hall -

I second Ismail's request. A label would be a great way to be able to embed a video in the course and be able to set activity completion if a student views the video. The alternatives (using a page or a URL or SCORM package), all require an extra click before the student actually sees the video.

In reply to Darren Hall

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I think the problem here is that a label is immediately visible on a page - so automatic completion would happen immediately - so for example if there is an embedded video then the person wouldn't need to watch it. I don't know the code could be made to specify that they had to click on the video to play it for the automatic completion to work (and then what if a label only had text, or an image - how would automatic completion work then?) Fortunately I am not a coder so hopefully someone else will be able to solve this problem smile