Orphaned files

Orphaned files

by Luigi Esposito -
Number of replies: 1

Hi,

I'm using Moodlecloud, based on Moodle 3.8.1 (Build: 20200113).

if I go into Site administration - Server - Files, I see many files that I thought shouldn't have been there. Specifically:

1) Files delivered by my students years ago, answering Assignments I asked them. The Assignments are still online, among the courses activities, but I deleted those student accounts years ago, so I thought that the files sent by those students were also automatically erased.

Since it isn't so, I'm doing in this way:

• I duplicate each of those Assignment resources (Duplicate tool);
  • and then I delete the original resource.

In this way, those orphaned files disappear from the list and I can keep an empty copy of the original Assignments, if I want to use them in the future. However I think that this workaround is a little intricate, so I would ask you if there is a better one.

2) I found two copies of the same resource:

Filename Size Type User Component FileareaAction
TCP.pkt 1.58 MB
application/octet-stream Luigi mod_resource contentView in context
TCP.pkt 83.58 KB
application/octet-stream Luigi mod_resource contentView in context

If I click the View in context button I land in the same course.

Well, the right file is the second one: I first uploaded in the course the 1.58 MB version of the file, then I replaced the file with the 83.58 KB version. Indeed, if I check all the course resources, I find only one occurrence of the TCP.pkt file, and this is the one whose size is 83.58 KB.

So the larger version of the file (1.58 MB) shouldn't be in the list. What  can I do to delete it?

Thanks so much for reading and for your reply,

Luigi

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Luigi Esposito

Ri: Orphaned files

by Luigi Esposito -
Sorry smile
It was my mistake: in that course I created two resources, each embedding a file called TCP.pkt (and the two files were different in size). So, it's (and already was) all right!
Bye, L