Can students who miss a quiz see it after it closes?

Can students who miss a quiz see it after it closes?

by Ian Wilson -
Number of replies: 9

I'm using Moodle version 3.5.7 or above (I'm a teacher, not an admin). Is it possible for me to set a quiz such that students who have not taken the quiz before it closes are still able to see the quiz questions (and answers) later so that they can study for a midterm or final exam?

Students who take the quiz at least once are able to see it after it closes (obviously dependent on the settings I choose), but students who don't take it at all cannot see it.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ian Wilson

Re: Can students who miss a quiz see it after it closes?

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello Ian,

I don't think these students can do that. If they have not done an attempt, obviously they cannot review it. smile

I would suggest that you take screenshots of your quiz, with questions and answers, and make them available as a pdf file.

In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Ian Wilson -

Thanks for your reply, Dominique. You're right... obviously students cannot review an attempt if they haven't made one. However, after the quiz closes, I would like ALL students to be able to see the questions and correct answers to the quiz, not just the students who have made an attempt.

If only the students who made an attempt can see the questions and answers, that disadvantages those who were not able to make an attempt (for whatever reason), when they go to review the quizzes in preparation for a final exam.

I have attached 2 screenshots. The one called "Moodle_quiz_closed_not_attempted" shows what a student sees when the quiz is closed but they did not attempt it. They cannot see questions or answers of the quiz. The attachment called "Moodle_quiz_closed_attempted" shows a review link, and when they click that they can see all the questions and answers (because I've set it that way in the quiz settings).

**What I want is for the students who did not attempt the quiz to be able to see the questions and answers after it closes, so that they too can review for a later exam.

Attachment Moodle_quiz_closed_attempted.png
Attachment Moodle_quiz_closed_not_attempted.png
In reply to Ian Wilson

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello Ian,

The following solution may be acceptable if you are the administrator of your Moodle site and only have one course. Otherwise, this solution is definitely not realistic:

Home / Site administration / Users / Permissions: Define roles / Student: Edit (gear icon) / Preview quizzes <-- Allow.

This will allow students to "Preview" all of the quizzes for all of the courses on the Moodle site. 

What you want to do is not easily achievable. As I said, in my opinion, it would be easier to take screenshots of your quiz and make them available in pdf format.

Other people might suggest a solution that I don't think of.

In reply to Ian Wilson

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
You can use https://docs.moodle.org/38/en/Quiz_settings#Group_and_User_overrides to give on student another chance. (And that is better than giving the student roles Preview capability, which is very, very dangerous.)

Note also there is long-standing feature request MDL-20329, which is what you are asking for.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ian Wilson -
Thanks Tim. I've now officially added my vote for that feature, but it looks like it's been in the works for a looooong time, so I probably won't wait on the edge of my seat. The user override is a good idea, but I don't want to have to keep track of which students have done the quiz on time and deserve full marks and which ones tried it later. Rick seems to have a good idea (below).
In reply to Ian Wilson

by Emma Richardson -
Why close the quiz? Just leave it open...
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Ian Wilson -
Thanks for your comment/question Emma. That's definitely an option, but I need to extrinsically motivate my students, and having a quiz closing date usually does that.
In reply to Ian Wilson

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
My approach is a little different, Ian, but parallels what I think you are trying to do.

My quizzes have due dates, and the quiz closes.

After the due date, I go into the grade book and enter a "0" for those students who did not take the exam. (There is a Tracker item that suggests that a 0 be automatically entered, but this Tracker item, I believe, is still open. Yep, it would be nice. Tim might know.)

Sometime before the midterm or final exam, such as two or three weeks, I "LOCK" the relevant quizzes scores in the grade book. In other words, the students' grades are "frozen" to their score on the due date.

Thank, I go into each quiz and remove the due date. This allows students to retake any of these quizzes and "practice" more questions before the exam.

Some of this is a little tricky because of some mis-coordination with the Review Options (A problem that occurred sometime between Moodle 1.9 and 3.8.  I need to create a Tracker item for this issue.) However, it is up to you to set the Review Options to what you desire. I set mine as shown below.  You might notice that I never provide students the "right" answer.  I leave it up to (my college) students to explore this on their own.

Attachment Ricks Review Options.png
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Ian Wilson -
Thanks very much Rick! I think this may be the way to go for now. Much appreciated!