On Thursday we migrated this site moodle.org
to a new hosting environment based on kubernetes+docker. We had some reasons to do so:
- Current site was hosted on an standalone instance that prevents it from scale horizontally.
- We hitted a bug/configuration error that has been a pain for us for the last 3 months.
- Need to provide more availability and better performance when possible
- Standardize processes with other sites
- Reduce downtime (scheduled or not)
So we prepared the new environment that would give us
- more capacity, dynamically increase when needed
- reduced downtime
- analyze Moodle to improve its integration with docker/kubernetes
New installation is based on a variable number of pods running nginx + php-fpm (php 7.3) as frontend with Redis as cache, session and lock backend. We have two redis instances to keep isolated session and caching/locking.
We're continuously working on improving this install, so any feedback would be appreciated.